What to do with MPEG2 file to have a svcd to play on standalone dvd player, PLS help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinntasy
    • Mar 2002

What to do with MPEG2 file to have a svcd to play on standalone dvd player, PLS help!

Please make this sticky so others with same probs can refer to this for help. I have TMPGEnc Plus trial version, converted the "empire strikes back" movie (avi) to mpeg2 (my goal is to have a svcd to play in my standalone dvd player) The Problem: I have read the forums, guides, but yet I just cant seem to catch on. What do i do next with this mpeg2? How do I get it to fit on 1 or 2 disks? *gives more info* I have TMPGEnc version 2.53.35.130, I used the wizard and choose supervideo cd, PAL (empire was 25 frame, as i understand, is pal) I opened up my avi movie, chose 4:3 625 line pal, left the rest of the settings as default (was told to do this) and converted to mpeg2....I had already split my avi into 2 sections and was converting the 1st half) after conversion..I end up with a 1 gig file...now I am at a total loss.. I dont understand the other guides could someone pls give a easy, step by step instructions of what to do next to have a svcd that is ready to burn.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If your video runs longer than approximately 35 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your MPEG2-SuperVideo CD file into two or three (or more) parts. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG2-Super VideoCD (VBR)". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first portion, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second (and third, if necessary) new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Comment

• Sinntasy
      • Mar 2002

EGADS!

so if I am trying to make a svcd to play on my standalone video player, I can only get 35 min per disk of movie ? meaning i will have a minimum of 3 disks, possibly 4 to watch this movie??? egads!.......and this form I have now...mpeg2, I can use this without doing anything further to it to have a svcd , and can just burn what I have to play on my home dvd player? I was thinking there was other steps before I can actually play my movies (svcd) on my player than just simply loading it into tmpgenc and converting it to mpeg2....*thinks* ahh the pain!....er so is there a way to have this movie (I am guessin it is average of 2 hours long) to fit on just 2 disks? 3-4 disks to watch ONE movie seems outragous....*still learning, newbie in action* thanks

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

When you converted the .AVI to "MPEG2" under TMPGEnc, did you set the mode to MPEG2-SuperVideoCD (as you should have) or to "plain vanilla" MPEG2?

If you correctly used the MPEG2-SuperVideoCD mode, once you've split the files into appropriate lengths, you need only burn them to CD-Rs using NERO (or comparable) by selecting SVCD as the burn mode (NOT asking NERO to convert the file to SVCD.

If you created the file(s) as MPEG2, and you have NERO v.5.0 (I thimk) or more recent, you can have NERO convert the files to SVCD format and burn them.

Comment

• Poy
          • Jan 2002

Do not use nero to make svcd file system because it is invalid and so you cant forward movies (but if you have splitted movie to many part it isnt problem)! Use some other program.

Comment

• Sinntasy
            • Mar 2002

Newbie Success!

Thanks to all that helped, I have now created my first SVCD, and it works perfectly, no scrambled picture, great color, awesome picture......just took THREE disks to do it, *only drawback* was hoping for TWO disks, but I guess that is not possible, if anyone knows a way, do share! again, thanks to all that helped!

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"was hoping for TWO disks"

Don't get greedy now!

Glad to have been of assistance ;>}

Comment

Working...