Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick
    • Mar 2002

Good soundcard recommendations

I'm in the market for a great quality (not sub-standard) quality soundcard, as my ol' SB PCI64 is just not up to the job - mainly because I've found that the left channel records soooo much softer than the right channel - which really pisses me off no end .

I've read a recent comparitive review of various soundcards, mainly the SB Audigy and the Videologic Soundfury (aka Turtle Beach). These are rated as having the best sound quality of the lot, but I can't decide which one to go for atm.

I do a lot of music creation as well which means I want to consider the Videologic for its massive support of (among other things) full Yamaha XG synthesis emulation. Otherwise, I will just go for the SB Audigy for its AC3 decoding (which ain't much point for me since I already have one in my hifi cabinet).

Anyway, can anyone recommend a soundcard for me purely on sound quality (Audigy), with a secondary want for lots of musical creation support (Videologic). Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I am a Live! user here and a satisfied one. Heard that the Audigy faces less compatibility problems than the other one though. Can't remember where I heard of it.

By the way, Live! cards also face problems with VIA mobo, but it seems that my previous VIA mobo did not croak, nor did the soundcard, when they were used together.

Just posting my thoughts.

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
      • Nov 2001

digidesigns digi 001..by far the best sound card EVER to this day.
      otherwise i would go with the sb audigy platinum.
      john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

• Bluesbrother
        • Mar 2002

Be aware though that the Audigy wont' let you record in 24bit (which could be important for you as a music creator).

Comment

• weaker
          • Feb 2002

Hi
          have a look at the Delta Series from Midiman (www.midiman.com). This is a fine recording card but it completely lacks hardware MIDI.

Other fine cards (Gina24 e.g.) are made by Echo. (www.echoaudio.com).
          If you want to spend a bit more money check out www.aardvark-pro.com/pc_audio.html.

All of them are recording cards and their main aspect is not MIDI nor XG emulation or whatever. I can't help you there. I'm personally content with my AWE32 and AWE64gold in my HomeBox.

hth

weaker

Comment

Working...