X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wonderstew
    • Mar 2005

Avi files from Video Game (DVD based) won't play independently

Hey folks,

Wondered if anyone could shed some light on this mystery. I recently purchased a video game (DVD based) and explored the disc. In the Video folder there are bajillions of avi files which play fine in the game but not independently. I'm relatively well stocked on codecs (divX, Xvid, AC3 etc...)

I ran it through G-Spot to identify the codec and it spit back "Unsupported"

I chucked it into DivFix and it told me "this is not an avi file"

Obviously my computer can play the files, they play in the game.

Anyone have any ideas?

Let me know!

-j
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Hello and welcome to the forums. Please explain exactly what it is that you are trying to accomplish with the AVI files in question? Are you trying to "Convert" them to another type of video format?

Comment

• wonderstew
      • Mar 2005

Thanks for the welcome,

I'm simply trying to view them. None of my conversion or editing software will open them either.

I was curious as to whether or not anyone here knew anything specific about video clips in video games. I've noticed (as a VERY general rule of thumb) that most cheaper, low-end-production video games have common video file types included on their discs that are viewable on most systems but most higher-end games' clips are less accessible.

Is there simply some compression/validation that's required to view them and only the game application itself can access them?

I know they are DivX, there's a DivX logo and shoutout in the open of the game. Yes I have the lastest DivX codec but no software I have can give me a clue.

Thanks for any help

-j

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Is there simply some compression/validation that's required to view them and only the game application itself can access them?"

Most likely it is a "Proprietary" codec that is inherent in the gamming program that is not available as a standalone piece of software.

Comment

• wonderstew
          • Mar 2005

So no dice eh?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"Thanks for your help."

Glad to be of help

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

For playback (via Windows Media Player or other PC players), try installing the FFDShow filter/codec...
              Last edited by setarip; 15 Mar 2005, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...