X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hajas
    • Apr 2005

VHS to DVD help!

Hello,

it's my first post here, and I already tryed many times alone and read a lot of info here, but I need some direct advice.

First, my objective is convert my VHS collection into DVDs.

I have a Geforce FX5600 with video capture, well installed and configured, and I can capture the video/audio well and with perfect sync. my computer is a pentium 2.4ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD.

But the program that came with the card is InterVideo, and when I capture the tapes he like cut a slice of the screen (right side). He don't have resolution settings to capture (or I don't found!).

I installed few more programs, and happens the same if I don't change the resolution, but in Vegas Video 3(yeah, the old one is the only I have) I can choose the resolution, and when I select the better one (7??xsomething - I can check the exact later) the capture became perfect! no one part of the screen is missed.

so that's it! I'll use Vegas aside InterVideo, but I got another problem. Vegas only record in AVI format? or exist a way to record in the DVD format?

because the rate is around 1GB per minute in this resolution.

so I'll need to have a HD with 120GB free to record 2hs of a tape! which is a lot!!!

I also read here that the best resolution to record vhs tapes is 680xsomething (I don't remember exact), but ANY resolution that I choose, a part of the screen is lost.

how much less resolution, more screen is lost.

how to fix that problem too?

If I can reduce the resolution and make the capture without lose a part of the screen, and also capturing in the DVD format already, all my problems will be solved.

anyone can help me?

thanks,
    Freddy
    www.hajas.org
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Vegas only record in AVI format?"

Try using a DivX codec in conjunction with Vegas Video software, so that you'll capture in DivX-compressed .AVI (FAR smaller than Uncompressed .AVI)...

Comment

• hajas
      • Apr 2005

how can I make that? change the configs to use them in the capture? I can't find it. :_(

I already have few codes here, Dvix, Xvid, etc...

the only resolution that capture the entire screen is 720x480, any other below I lost a part of the screen (right part).

any ideas how to fix that too?

thanks!

Freddy
      www.hajas.org

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Vegas only record in AVI format? or exist a way to record in the DVD format? "

"how can I make that? change the configs to use them in the capture? I can't find it."

I've got to believe that the documentation that came with that costly ($200-$00) software package you purchased contains the answer to such basic questions...

Comment

• fred69lyon
          • Apr 2005

Personaly, I got a pinacle card which captures video too.
          With my card I only can record with DV format. (even if the extension is .AVI)
          The size is about the same you have (very huge).
          I cannot record in another format and I think it's the same for you.
          After recording, use Nero tools to convert to DVD format.
          NeroVision Express 3 is very powerfull and quite easy to use.

Comment

• hajas
            • Apr 2005

I just download the vegas video 3's docs, and I'll take a read later.

Fred, I know how to do that, but like I said above I'll need 120GB free to record a 2hs tape, which is A LOT... must exist a better way. :/

any VHS->DVD expert outhere?

thanks again,
            Freddy
            www.hajas.org

Comment

• Alien Bay
              Always learning
              • Oct 2004

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your Intervideo problem, but I can tell you what I used. I used AVer Media DVD EZMaker to convert all of my tape files and it worked great. It runs through a USB2.0
              APOD

Comment

• hajas
                • Apr 2005

thanks, I'll check that too!
                www.hajas.org

Comment

• Alien Bay
                  Always learning
                  • Oct 2004

You're welcome. Good luck.
                  APOD

Comment

• Grinch
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Sep 2004

I just finished backing up a VCR to DVD for a friend. It is a very old movie and the VCR tape is very poor quailty.
                    I used a program called Video Advantage to get the file to the HD. Next, used an edit program(Cyberlink Power Director) to make any changes and edit the file. I also downloaded a program called TMPGEnc Author from the web. Then I saved the file from Cyberlink in a MPEG2 format at 720X480. Used the TMPGEnc program to change it to VOB and IFO files that could be used to make a DVD. My finished files were well over 5 gig so I used DVD Shrink to get them to the right size for a DVD(used 4260size). Then finished with Nero to burn a disc. It took a little time but the finished movie came out good. Also, the MPEG files would not work with TMPGEnc unless the resolution was set at 720X480 when they were made.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Also, the MPEG files would not work with TMPGEnc unless the resolution was set at 720X480 when they were made."

I believe you'll find that "TMPGEnc DVD Author" will also accept "half-resolution" 352x480 MPEG2 files for input...

Comment

Working...