• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HDTiVo
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Feb 2004

Dual Core Processors - Performance Notes

Wanted to start a thread about experiences using DV software on new dual core processor based machines.

If you've got one of these, or when you do get one, let us know what kind of performance enhancement you are seeing compared to your obsolete single core machine .

Post about those nasty editing and transcoding jobs that you hate waiting for.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

this might be interesting for you:

Comment

• HDTiVo
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Feb 2004

Yes it was; article doesn't mention 2M cache 600 series single core at higher speeds vs. 1M dual cores at lower speeds.

Nice to see Shrink; would like to see lots of other programs relevent to this forum tested.

The multi-tasking benchmarks are most interesting because that's what we are really doing with our PCs.

Disk I/O performance is extremely influential and I didn't any control for that across platforms.

Comment

• Alien Bay
        Always learning
        • Oct 2004

Here's another discussion breaking down what dual core processors do. Excerpt below...the whole article is here...

"The benefit will come for users who multitask. As in a dual processor system there is a second processor core to share the load either in balanced form or by itself. If one processor is busy burning a DVD then the second is available to, I don't know, bake bread. The point is there are now two pairs of processor hands to execute multiple tasks simultaneously.

For the home enthusiast it mean less processor hiccups while playing DOOM III and, at the same time, burning a DVD or listening to music."
        APOD

Comment

Working...