Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tibble
    • May 2003

Annoying Blue Screens

I am trying to Convert an Old VHS tape that I recorded from a UHF station years ago. Because the quality is poor- lots of static and because Its not avail on DVD, I want to archive it on DVD for sentimental reasons not to mention I really like the show.

Unfortunately, the picture is very grainy.
    When I played it on my OLD VCR, even though the quality is poor, my VCR still played the video, static or not.

Now that I have a new VCR and Camcorder to convert it, I noticed that the NEW VCR,Camcorders will show you a "BLUE SCREEN" if there isnt enough of the image to show.

This is Extremely annoying because, I use my Camcorder(firewired to my computer) to transfer the video. And when I play my VCR - *Thru* the camcorder I always seem to get those annoying BLue Screens.

I then unhooked my VCR and connected it directly to the TV and I noticed that it plays my tape fine (static and all)

*I must note that even with the static there is enough of the image AND sound to enjoy the movie*

So I assume It has somethign to do with the digital TUNER in the Camcorder which wont let it allow - a static- y image.

Can *ANYONE* help me with this? Can you turn it off ? are there ways around it?

Tibble

My camcorder is a Sony DCR - TRV38
    and im using Adobe Premeire 6.5
    my other VCR is Sony SLV-N700
  • Alien Bay
    Always learning
    • Oct 2004

Not sure I have the answer to your question directly, Tibble, but have you tried searching the web for the original program you taped? More and more, there is a lot of stuff from old tv shows available.

It might be worth the money as opposed to what you're trying to resolve...bad data on old technology.
    APOD

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

too bad you don't have a tv tuner card, you could hook up the coaxial output from the old vcr to it, capture it that way. out of curiosity, what show is it?
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Grinch
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Sep 2004

I was doing a similar transfer with an old wedding tape. I found it hard to improve or at times keep the quailty of the tape when transfering to DV format. The final cut was only as good and in parts less that the original (poor quailty) vcr tape. I was using a good VCR machine connected directly to the PC with PCI hardware made for that purpose. Didn't get any "blue screens" but did lose color in some small parts of the movie.
        If you find a program that improves the quailty please post it.

Comment

Working...