X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nixus
    • May 2005

Rip rates fall with new motherboard?

Hello,

I just replaced a vnf4 board with another and now my dvd shrink rates start at 2mb but fall instead of rising! I have a nec 3500 with updated firmware. With the previous board it would read 6-8mb by the time I was done ripping a dvd, and the entire process only took about 26 minutes.

As far as I can tell I have everything installed that I did in the previous environment. I have the media play 9 encoding installed. UDMA-33 is enabled on the ide controller.

Any ideas? There's something missing but I don't know how to find out what that is. Is there a tool I can use to test something.

I remember something about the scsi layers from a long time ago, but everything was working so well for such a long time I don't remember what that was or how to test for it.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Are you using a 40 or 80-way data cable for your hard drive?
    If 80 way, you should be able to run UDMA-66, double speed.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• nixus
      • May 2005

I'm confused - I thought you could only achieve udma33 with a dvd burner - that's what the specs for mine say:

Anyway, I am using an 80 pin. It must be something in the BIOS or the nVidia drivers. Odd thing is, I set this burner up on another machine while mine was down and it did the same thing - starts out at 2mb/s and steading drops in speeds, going down to 0.99 and such.

I've had the drive with the rip unlocked firmware for about 4 months and never had this problem on any of the several motherboards I've used until now. It always decodes a full dvd movie in about 25 minutes. I'm used to watching it rapidly increase in rip rate, finishing at 6-8mb/s and it's somewhat alarming to watch it going the wrong way!

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

I'm sorry for confusing you. I was referring to the hard drive interface.
        If using a 40-way cable you are limiting the hard drive to ATA33. Only by using the 80-way can you use ATA66 and above. It could be data writing to your hard drive holding back the ripping speed?
        Also I believe, sharing a CD/DVD on the ribbon slows the hard drive too.
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...