Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidb2989
    • Feb 2004

converting .avi files to dvd

I downloaded some tv episodes in .avi format. Can someone help me convert them to the format that either dvdshrink or dvddecrypter can recognize/convert?
    davidb2989
  • awesomeincalg
    • Dec 2004

Try this link...

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)
      You can obtain a FULLY functional free 30 day trial version of this commercial program at:

TMPGEnc,DVD Author,tmpg,mpg,mpeg,encoder,TMPG,tmpgenc,Pegasys,TSUNAMI,authoring,digital,video,DVD-Video,AVI,converter,convert,movie,movies

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
      (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

the best results are doing as "setarip stated". more control etc. for all-in-one programs VSO divxtodvd and Dvd2svcd are two of the better programs IMO and both are free.

Comment

• mindless
          • Jun 2005

What about VirtualDub???

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To mindless

VirtualDub can ONLY convert videos TO .AVI format. This is already the format of the files referred to by "davidb2989", so it wouldn't help in the effort to convert the files to DVD format...

Comment

• Shocker
              • Jul 2005

I use dvdSanta,it takes a while(maybe thats normal) but it converts to Vob files!

Comment

• claire
                • Feb 2005

Hello,

DivxToDVD found here http://www.vso-software.fr/download.htm

is a great free and fast application that turns DivX, Xvid, MOV, VOB, Mpeg, Mpeg4, AVI, WMV, DV and stream formats into DVD format (video_ts file)

By the end of summer a whole new version of this product will be out--the free version will still be made available, but the new version will support subtitles, have its own burning engine, have a whole new interface and more

This application is definitely worth a try---if you like 1 clickers,

Cheers

Comment

• ChaosDealer73
                  • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by setarip
                  If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
                  (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")
                  I have a question on that comment, well kindof. My current computer is a refurbished Win98 that has been upgraded (Memory, and OS to WinXP), would it still allow me to create DVDs? Also, how can I tell which type of DVD R I need? (-R or +R) Roxio Easy CD Creator lets you create an Interface that has selectable files to view like a real commercial DVD. Do I need a separate DVD R drive to use that or any other DVD Creating software, or is simply using a DVD R disc good enough?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

the below link will tell you what media to use for your specific burner.
                    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                    Columbo moments...
                    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ChaosDealer73
                      • Jul 2005

I don't believe that I have any DVD R drives, except for the DVD ROM drive I have.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

if it is a true dvd rom, then you can't make any dvd's. only copy them to your pc. you would have to get a dvd burner(writer)
                        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                        Columbo moments...
                        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• ChaosDealer73
                          • Jul 2005

Okay. I'm looking for ones as I type. Never would've learned if I didn't ask I suppose.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

you would have found out when you tried to burn a disc.
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...