Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Infection
    • Jul 2005

What do you prefer?

Would you prefer to do a full backup inclueding menus, extras... or to just backup the main movie? Full backups would require a DVD DL where as a backup of the main movie only needs a single layered disc...

System
    P4 2.8GHz | 512MB RAM | 40GB HD

Sotware
    Nero 6.6.0.16| Nero Recode 2.2.6.17b | DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 | DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15

DVD Drives
    Freecom DVD+/-RW 16B9 (2.49)

Media
    RiDisc 8x DVD-R 50 Tub (RITEKG05, 0/50 Burned, 0% Successful)
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

i've had some full disc back-ups where i got it all on one disc without any compression, but that's because the original was a single layer. most dvd's though are double layer now.

for me, i could care less about menu's , extras all that crap. as a matter of fact i have never watched bonus features for any movie, ever.
    i'd much rather get rid of all that crap and have the main movie only(re-author) and apply less compression and thus, a much nicer picture.

so my rule is:

if i can do a full disc with no compression--i do it, why not right?

otherwise i re-author--main movie,english subs,one eng audio--that's it.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"Full backups would require a DVD DL"

Are you asking about a SPECIFIC DVD title? If so, which one? Does it include a DTS or LPCM audiostream?

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

for single layer disks I do full back up
        for double layer disks I do main movie only unless the compression is small

Comment

• dragonslayer49
          • Jul 2005

Main movie only, I careless for extra features

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

I keep the menus using MenuShrink and keep the main movie, english subtitles and 1 audio.

Comment

• blutach
              Not a god of digital video
              • Oct 2004

Me too jm

Regards
              Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
              [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Infection
                • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by setarip
                "Full backups would require a DVD DL"

Are you asking about a SPECIFIC DVD title? If so, which one? Does it include a DTS or LPCM audiostream?
                I just meant most of the DVDs on sale today. They all tend to have extras, menus...

The ones of 4-8GB.

System
                P4 2.8GHz | 512MB RAM | 40GB HD

Sotware
                Nero 6.6.0.16| Nero Recode 2.2.6.17b | DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 | DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15

DVD Drives
                Freecom DVD+/-RW 16B9 (2.49)

Media
                RiDisc 8x DVD-R 50 Tub (RITEKG05, 0/50 Burned, 0% Successful)

Comment

• mastercontrol
                  • Jun 2005

For me, it depends on what I want on the disc. If I want the extras, I back up the whole thing with menus and all. If I just want the movie, then I usually just rip the movie and have it start when the disc is inserted into the DVD player. If I'm backing up a TV series, I always keep the menus and extras. That way I get the original menus, and I don't have to waste time making my own.

The nice thing about backing up with DVD Shrink is I can decide what elements to keep (replacing unwanted elements with a still), and what compression settings to use, although I usually give everything roughtly the same percentage of compression. I've found that even as low as 55% does a decent job (I use the deep analysis, which results in a better picture than the default quick method).

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

menues: all the time
                    bonus/extras: most of the times
                    trailers: never

using an encoder like procoder2 (via dvd rebuilder) gives me excellent results on dvd5 - you cannot, of course, expect this from transcoders like shrink

Comment

Working...