Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gotspeed13
    • Jul 2005

Problem with TMPGEnc

Is there a tutorial on how to use this program? I have searched but only found the one for TMPGEnc DVD Author. I am having problems converting an AVI file to mpeg-2 format. In the project wizard I select:

On page one of the wizard I select DVD NTSC with CBR MPEG-1 layer II Audio (MP2) format

Then I select the file on page two and have it set to Non-Interlace video type, 1:1 VGA aspect ratio, and Film Movie as the Content of Video.

No filter settings on page three

Page four is set to 720 x 480 pixels, video bit rate is 3607, audio bit rate is 384.

Then when I hit OK on page 5 to start encoding it says File "G:\filenamehere.mpg" does not exist, Do you wish to create? I hit OK and it goes to the encoding screen and has an error that says "Can't load P3Package.dll" and then does nothing else.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

the steps you outlined above are fine, it shouldn't give you any trouble. be sure you are naming the output file something other than the original.
    raise directshow to 2 under environmental settings, "vfapi" tab. right click "directshow multimedia filereader" "raise priority" untill it is the highest number likely "2".

"Then I select the file on page two and have it set to Non-Interlace video type, 1:1 VGA aspect ratio, and Film Movie as the Content of Video."

i always leave this area alone, once the file is loaded tmpgenc will auto set them.

by the way what type of audio does this file have and i assume it plays ok on the pc?

also: i found this:
    TMPGEnc says Cannot load P3Package.dll
    The most common reason why people get this message is because they don't extract all files into one folder! You have to make sure that you have them extracted.

Another Reason why this happens is because people are running TMPGEnc from shortcuts they have made to it on their Desktop. Try running it from its exe file!
    Last edited by LT. Columbo; 1 Aug 2005, 03:19 AM.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• gotspeed13
      • Jul 2005

Yes is does play fine on my PC. How do I find out what type of audio it has?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

what about the other suggestions? did you look into the last part of my post?

right click the avi "properties", "summary", it likely is ac3, mp3 etc.

as a test, try to encode another disimilar file to see if tmpgenc will crash.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• gotspeed13
          • Jul 2005

After raising the directshow and running it from the program folder and not the shortcut it worked. Thank you columbo. I'm also wondering though, it changed the extension to .mpg from .avi. I do have some files that are .mpg, would they need to be converted with TMPGEnc? If not, why can't a person just change a video files extension to .mpg? I'm sure there is a reason but I'm still learning about file conversion so I don't fully understand it yet.

Thanks again

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

"After raising the directshow and running it from the program folder and not the shortcut it worked. Thank you columbo"

well first of all yw i use the shortcut and have never seen that error.... hmmn.

tmpgenc outputs the files to mpeg-2 dvd compliant files. (with the dvd template wizard you are using) this is what it is supposed to do. the mpg files you have may ( i bet likely not)not be in dvd compliant form. they are likely mpeg-1(VCD). you can go ahead and encode those the same as you did your avi with the same wizard. i do it all the time.

"why can't a person just change a video files extension to .mpg?"

doesn't work that way, this can be done with vob files but this is not what you are dealing with here...
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• gotspeed13
              • Jul 2005

So would it be in the properties of the file if it is mpeg-1 or 2?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

no, it's useful for avi's.

to get more detailed info on either, i suggest virtualdub or virtualdubmod.
                these are useful and you may find you need them if you do more file conversions. others like g-spot but i find no need for it. all 3 mentioned are free too.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• gotspeed13
                  • Jul 2005

Well, I got the files converted with TMPGEnc and then used TMPGEnc DVD Author to add 2 files together and to add the needed DVD structure files successfully. Then opened the files with DVD Shrink and there is no audio. In shrink it says the audio is "MPEG-1 2 CH Unspecified" but there is no sound is what I mean. What do I do now?

Comment

• tigerman8u
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2003

play the file/s before and after using Tmpgenc dvd author and see if you lost the audio in one of these steps. if you have audio proceed with dvdshrink and save the output to your hard drive and check for audio

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

"In shrink it says the audio is "MPEG-1 2 CH Unspecified"

that's what it is supposed to say. i just tried with one of my "dvd packages", when i use dvd shrink's preview window i get sound. like tig says, before you author you have sound? what about after? what steps are you using in tmpgenc dvd author?
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• gotspeed13
                        • Jul 2005

I didn't play it from the .mpg file. Guess I should have tried that. It doesn't have sound when I open the file in Shrink and play it in the preview window. How do I play the vob file after I use TMPGEnc author? I've seen it on here but don't remember what program it was.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                          Demigod of Digital Video
                          • Nov 2004

do yourself a favor and get media player classic.(free)

"I didn't play it from the .mpg file. Guess I should have tried that. "

yes you should have, always test the output files from tmpgenc before you work with them further. if you want to play the vob files, media player classic can do it as can a great many players out there....
                          Columbo moments...

Comment

• gotspeed13
                            • Jul 2005

Let's say I play it and it doesn't have any sound, I delete all the related files and start the whole thing over again and still no sound, then what?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

cross that bridge when you get to it. i don't know why you would post here before trying it out. you DON"T need to re-encode the whole file just a few seconds and hit "abort" then you can play that short piece back to see if it has sound.
                              Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...