X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yalublum
    • Aug 2005

Video-streaming / on-demand from my computer to my tv

Hi all,

I don't know how to summarize what I want to ask, so here are the details.

Here's what I have in mind... this is what I want:
    • All my divx/xvid/mp3/jpg files are on my main computer upstairs.
    • I need a way to watch/listen to all that 'on-demand' on my TV downstairs.
    Here are some potential half-baked solutions:

1 - One potential solution I found is to install Windows Media Center 2005 on my main computer and use it with Linksys Media Center Extender.
    Pros about this solution: Except for the cons listed below, this setup is closest to what I had in mind. The device comes with a remote. I can use the remote to browse/watch from my tv screen downstairs all the media I got on my computer upstairs.

Cons with this solution: First, I'll have to install MCE 2005 on my main comp, which I don't really want. Second, the linksys device only works with mpg1/2 and wmv formats... it doesn't support dvix/xvid... so it's useless.

2 - Buy a 2nd computer for downstairs that can read files off the main computer's network shares and can play directly over the network. Ofcourse, you also hook the the 2nd computer to the TV.
    Pros: Can play any format I want ... and even do other stuff, like play PC games / browse web using wireless kbd/mouse.

Cons: Not as portable / nifty as having a dedicated gadget (e.g. the linksys). Will need to install something on the second computer, like MCE 2005 or something. Was hoping to get by without it. Plus I won't be able to control it using my universal remote.

3 - Use video streaming over the LAN. On the TV side, I'd need a set-top box that can accept an ethernet connection and display whatever's streaming. I found this solution at: http://www.videolan.org
    Pros: The software is free.

Cons: The software is a bit criptic to use for a person like me (noob). Plus this is just streaming... so my TV will receive whatever's streaming. I want "on-demand" using remote.

So that's what I got so far. What do you think? What are your suggestions/comments? Am I missing a better solution here? Are there products out there (like the linksys) that can help me create such a setup?

Thanks for all your help!!

Yalublum
  • ashes
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Aug 2005

Hi!

Burn to CD or DVD. Play on standalone player hooked up to your downstairs TV.

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

"All my divx/xvid/mp3/jpg files are on my main computer upstairs.
      I need a way to watch/listen to all that 'on-demand' on my TV downstairs."

for about $60-$65 get a philips dvp642 divx/dvd player. I have 2 of them and they play most anything you stick in them. divx,xvid,mpeg 1/2 etc

Comment

• yalublum
        • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by ashes
        Hi!

Burn to CD or DVD. Play on standalone player hooked up to your downstairs TV.
        The whole point of doing this is so that I don't have to physically sort/look thru hundreds of cd/dvd's in order to find a movie or play a certain clip. And anyway, I got tons of movie that won't play on the standalone player because of qpel/etc... plus I got a lot of stuff in Real Video and quicktime format... and I'm not up for converting/fixing them and re-burning them.

So that's not the point of this thread. I already own a dvp-642. Thanks for your comments so far.

-Yalublum
        Last edited by yalublum; 7 Aug 2005, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...