Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • campione
    • Aug 2005

how to create a DVD that will play in zone 1 DVD player

summary: I want to watch a zone 2 DVD in a zone 1 DVD player connected to my TV (not PC). Approach: make a copy that is zone 1 or zone free. hasn't worked. Looking for suggestions.

here is what I have done:
    I purchased a DVD in Germany (zone 2) before I understood about geographical restrictions. I can play this DVD on my PC, but I want to play it on my DVD player upstairs in the family room (with TV etc). Naturally I get the geographical restriction from my american made DVD player. I have tried making a back up with DVDShrink (with "region free" checked) and Nero, which produced a nice DVD replica which although plays nicely on my PC, still is blocked by my american DVD player.

Seeking help!
    thanks
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Not only do you have to make it "region free", you also need to convert the signal from PAL to NTSC.

Learn how to convert NTSC files to PAL format and vice-versa here: http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?...or+List+Guides

Comment

• campione
      • Aug 2005

zone free and zone 1 in DVDShrink failed...

just thought I'd add that I have tried setting the regio in DVDShrink to region free and also just to zone 1. Both generated the geographical restrictions error on my DVD player (and both played without problem on my PC).

Comment

• campione
        • Aug 2005

file type question (PAL -> NTSC)

JMET,
        thanks, this makes sense now that you mention it. I got TMGEnc but it didn't recognize any of my DVD files -- I was hoping it would grab the directory created by DVDShrink, but unfortunately not only did it not do that, it didn't recognize any of the files created by DVDShrink. So I got stumped at the "start". There are a ton of file converters out there...do you know which file type DVDShrink creates (called DVD Movie in the windows explorer type field). I suspect I need to convert these into AVI files so that TMGEnc can recognize and then convert the PAL Avi to a NTSC file of some type. Then presumably I'll need to convert it back from whatever file NTSC file type is generated by TMGEnc to whatever a DVD Movile file is so that Nero can actually burn the files to a DVD....

sounds complicated! Guidance appreciated
        thx

Comment

• campione
          • Aug 2005

OK, I give up. I found the following excellent link: http://www.intuitive.com/blog/the_be...ps_dvp642.html
          and decided that $78.98 + $20 shipping was a better soln for a piece of hardware that would just play my zone 2 PAL DVD's on my US NTSC TV.
          thanks for the help however...

Comment

Working...