How can you tell if frames were dropped?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gameshow Host
    • Mar 2002

How can you tell if frames were dropped?

I have an ATI All In Wonder 128. I can't figure out how to display a FPS to see if any frames are being dropped, or find a log file that tells me if any frames were dropped.

Just how exactly am I supposed to find out if any frames were dropped during capture?
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

You may want to capture in Virtualdub. If there is dramatic frame loss occuring, you will most probably notice the results---a really shabby video.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"how to display a FPS to see if any frames are being dropped"

That would be a function of the capture software you're using and not the hardware.

What software are you using? Have you checked the dropdown "Help" or hardcopy documentation?

Comment

• Gameshow Host
        • Mar 2002

I can't SEE any frameskip. If could see it, then I wouldn't need the software to tell me there was frameskip, would I?

I'm using my ATI All In Wonder 128's capture software that came with the card. If I use anything else, surely I wouldn't be taking full advantage of the speed of the hardware, would I?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"If I use anything else, surely I wouldn't be taking full advantage of the speed of the hardware, would I?"

I'd gently suggest to you that your statement may be an unsubstantiated presumption. If you'd allow yourself to try something as simple as VirtualDubs' capture capabilities (which will clearly indicate dropped frames, if any), you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Don't misinterpret this but, the suggestions of others (in response to your postings seeking answers) may sometimes prove to be valid - and you won't know unless you try ;>}

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

I was merely giving a suggestion, if you find it to be detriminal then you can disregard it. On the other hand, it may prove to be helpful I was only trying to help...

Comment

• Gameshow Host
              • Mar 2002

Sorry. If I sounded ungrateful for the info, I didn't mean to. I appreciate it. When I said: "surely using third party capturing software wouldn't be taking full advantage of the speed of the hardware, would it?" I wasn't arguing against what you had said, I was actually just asking for more information. I don't have a clue if using Virtualdub will give me less performance than using my capture card, although I presume so. I asked because I thought someone else might know for sure.

If I thought that Virtualdub could capture video at the same quality/speed that my capture card hardware can, then I would not hesitate to use it, as its features are far superior to ATI's. But my common sense tells me that a third party capturing software may not fully support my hardware, may not use it to its fullest, or may perform slower. I might be totally wrong (and I hope I am) but unless someone confirms this, I can't take the risk of further reducing the quality of my captures.

Also, as long as I can figure out whether or not I'm dropping frames, I'm happy to use the ATI capture software, because it does what I need it to do (ie grab raw lossless avi so I can later encode it to mpeg2 with TMPGenc).

Now I'm just writing for the sake of it. I'm really tired. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. You're reading the writings of someone who's already fallen asleep three times and been rudely woken up by the person he's living with, and is now finally about to nod off again (hopefully for the last time). If anyone's still reading this... goodnight! ZZzzzzzzz

Comment

• Batman
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2002

Sometimes you have to try new things, and avail opportunities at hand. I don't think Virtualdub will adversley affect your capture. Just give it a try when you wake up.

Comment

Working...