Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcatha1
    • Mar 2002

DVD drive not reading...?

My DVD drive doesn't appear to be reading any disks. I keep getting a mesage asking me to put a disk into the drive and there's already one there. Can anyone help please?
  • macstar
    • Mar 2002

do you mind me asking the make? i bought a relisys 16 speed for £45. but it does have problems reading computer shopper/ home written disks all my other cdroms including old ones will read... it also spins down too much!!! it is annoying in tombraider 2! it stops the game for a few seconds!

Comment

• jcatha1
      • Mar 2002

DVD not reading...?

It's a Toshiba...it's integral to my PC...it used to work ok but suddenly it isn't.....

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

The drive may be broken, (the laser or any other component may not be functioning properly) if the drive does not access any disc. You may want to have the store from which you purchased this drive to check it out. Have you made any major software/hardware changes to your system? Also, check "device manager".

Comment

• macstar
          • Mar 2002

yeah i was gonna make the point of lazer out of alignment... it's what i'm thinking of mine!

Comment

• jcatha1
            • Mar 2002

DVD not reading...?

I have been to Device Manager and it's telling me that the device is working ok. the light comes on on the Drive when I insert a disk but it doesn't open up. I had a crash a while back and had to replace my hard drive, could it be something to do with this?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Spend $10 US on the Maxell DVD/CD cleaning disc. Let it run for two minutes. If you're in luck (and it was only some dirt fouling up the laser's line of sight) you'll have made a very wise, yet nominal, investment ;>}

Comment

• jcatha1
                • Mar 2002

DVD not reading...?

Setarip...thanks for the suggestion. I'll do this and hope it works. If it doesn't I'm back to square one.

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Haven't seen a clearning dic--wow Setarip. If it works it'll be great. Then again, your laser alignment could be awry. In the very first generation of cd writer drives, this was a common occurence.

Comment

• jcatha1
                    • Mar 2002

DVD not reading...?

I am going to try the cleaning method first of all but if the laser alignment is awry how do I fix this apart from taking it into a shop. My PC is about 3 or 4 years old now and is no longer under the sellers guarantee!!!

I have been having other problems (Shell32.dll errors) and if this continues I will be seeing how far my window will open!!!!

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

You could try reinstalling Windows, though it's not going to help if it is a hardware problem.

Comment

• Batman
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2002

dll errors may indicate a "problematic" or "ill" system, perhaps you may benifit from a format/re-install of Windows---however back up everything before hand. Also, you'll need a cd drive that is working for the Win cd and a start up floppy (in Win 9x, NT).

Comment

Working...