Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marceggers
    • Jul 2004

Which way should I go...

I recently received a Dell Gift Card as the result of a promotional sales drive at work. It's for $2000. I want to use it to buy a system that I will use solely for desktop video editing, particularly putting VHS onto DVD.
    The more I read and research the more questions I have. So let me ask a few and give me all the feedback you can.

To start with, the processor: I think I've gotten the impression that dual core processors are great if you plan to multi-task a lot. I don't think I'll be doing much of that so should I get the fastest single core processor I can afford?

Next, I know I need a lot of RAM, like 2 gigs, but Dell sells both 533MHz and 667 MHz dual channel RAM. Do I need the faster and more expensive (667 MHz) or will the 533 be sufficient?
    Third, I want a good video card with at least 256 MB video memory but Dell offers two different ones: 1)- 256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800, and 2)-256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX at $400 extra! Do I need it?
    And finally, about my harddrives (plural), should I spring for RAID or will the serial ATA variety be good enough.
    I know I'm asking a lot, but I don't want to make bad choices or spend much beyond my $2000 freebie. Thanks for whatever you can share.
Working...