Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidra
    • Jan 2004

iTunes video

Just got an iPod, downloaded and paid for a video through the Music Store. Plays fine on the iTunes player. What format are these videos, where might they be on the computer, and can they be converted for DVD use? I can't locate the file.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

the video resolution is limited to 320x240 (for H.264, which is likely the format you have downoaded the file in) and 480x480 for mpeg4. i don't think you would want to watch something like that on a tv/dvd, unless you like staring at a 100 or so colourful blocks on your tv set while listening to your music

they can be converted i believe, you could try tmpgenc once you have located the file
    Last edited by anonymez; 24 Oct 2005, 11:58 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• davidra
      • Jan 2004

what would the file extension be for that kind of file?

addendum: OK.... I found it....it's an mp4 video....any suggestions what to do with that, if anything? Tmpeg Xpress won't open it, so it must be protected.....
      Last edited by davidra; 24 Oct 2005, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

likely 'avi', but possibly 'mov' cause we are dealing with apple

Comment

• davidra
          • Jan 2004

It is an M4V file. I don't understand why tmpeg won't open it. Any suggestions?

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

ok after a quick search, i found that apple did this on purpose, and these video files are not meant to be converted/burnt to anything but a data dvd (which won't play in a standalone), and i think any method to bypass them is illegal (and thus against forum rules).

but there is a way to watch on tv, without burning, using an s-video cable

Learn how to set up and use your iPod touch. Find all the topics, resources, and contact options you need for your iPod touch.
            Last edited by anonymez; 25 Oct 2005, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• davidra
              • Jan 2004

Right....apparently they use something called Fairplay, which is a copy protection scheme which I guess is the problem. Surprised that none of the multiple programs around can get through it.

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

i'm not surprised at all that they use it, its just apple's version of microsoft's DRM. IIRC one person cracked DRM some time ago, and earned himself a long jail sentence....

Comment

Working...