• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derree
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere

Hello everyone...I am sure the answer is here somewhere I just couldn't find it...and I did look...So here it is...I have downloaded some video clips offline and would like to burn them to either a cd or a dvd. Right now I have 690MB so they would fit onto a cd but would like to put them on a dvd as I know I will be getting more clips. And yes they are legal clips nothing pirated! lol.... anyhoo..they are saved as WMV (I think ...I am at work now and they are at home but I am pretty sure..).What is strange is I burned them onto a cd and they would play on my computer but not on my dvd player (which can play cd-r). So how would I get these to burn on a dvd that I can play on my dvd player? Thanks for all the help!!
    sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
    good
    -------------------------------------------
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Some of these might be of use.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

I see by some of your other posts that you have Nero. Nero Vision Express will make a DVD out of the wmv files and you can put a menu on it also to pick what you want to play.

Comment

• Derree
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jul 2005

Thanks Guys..I am going to try Nero now and see if I can figure it out..and failing that I will check out your recommodations Blutach!
        sigpic

good

Comment

• blutach
          Not a god of digital video
          • Oct 2004

Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• Derree
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jul 2005

So I started last night using nero (which works great by the way..) but I didnt finish it since it said it was going to take about 5 hours to do....I have a pretty good pc...is this normal time frame for this?
            sigpic

good

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

hey derree

what are the specs of your PC?
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Derree
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Jul 2005

Well..I'm not at home right now and am not a computer whiz but let's see what I can remember...I have a HP a819 AMD Athon 64, ...umm..I know the number 3300+ is on there as well and I have 160 GB hard drive...umm dual layer dvd burner...but I will have to wait till I get home and look at it and I can tell you more...I do know I love my 19" LCD moniter tho hehe...best thing about my computer is I work for Staples so I was able to get it at a discount and pay for it intrest free over the span of a year..
                sigpic

good

Comment

• Derree
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jul 2005

ok so now that I am home LT here are the specs:
                  330+ AMD Athon 64 processor, 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory, 160 GB ultra DMA Hard drive
                  DVD +/- RW/CD-RW Double layer 16X
                  2.4 GHz Processor speed 256 L2 cache 1600 MHz system bus.
                  Don't know if you still cared or not lol but thought I would put it up for ya anyway...
                  sigpic

good

Comment

• jm1647
                    • Apr 2005

@Derree - Nice system! Were you burning it right to DVD or saving it to your harddrive first?

Edit - You could save the project to your HDD a file at a time first then burn it later. For me it turned a 3.73MB .wmv into a 45MB file in DVD format so over 600+ MB is going to be big and take a little time, how long, I dunno I never did nothing that big at once.
                    Last edited by jm1647; 26 Oct 2005, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• swraman
                      • Aug 2005

To convert the video, you could try DivxTODVD. There is a free version avaliable here:
                      Are you a video maker, or do you just want to watch? Find the best video software for Windows, Mac, and mobile, whether you want to be the next YouTube star or just need a great media player for watching movies. These apps help you capture video, edit video, convert files, share with friends, and customize your video playback.

In Source file line, select all the files you want to convert.
                      Put the destination as a NEW folder with nothing else in it. Then click compress. (this step should take the longest)

It will output DVD files. But, they may be larger that 4.7GB (the size of a DVD-R...So for the final step of burning them to a disc, you can use DVDShrink.
                      Large selection of reviewed shareware and freeware software.

Once you install DVD Shrink, Open it and click "open Files", and navigate to the folder that you used as your "Output folder" in DivXtoDVD but DO NOT select it. There should be a new folder in that one with the filename of the original video file in it. Select that folder.
                      Then, DVD shrink should go through a short Analyses. Once it is done, click "Backup!".

Since you have Nero, select the option under "Burn with Nero:" (which has your DVD burner's drive letter/name in it)

Put a blank DVD in your drive, and start the Backup. DVD Shrink will re-compress the video to fit on the disk, and burn it to the disk!

Hope this works
                      G4 =

I got a ton of Gmail (2+(and counting)GB Email from Google) invites if anyone wants one. PM or email me if you want one.

Comment

• Derree
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Jul 2005

Thanks for the compliments on my system Iknow I like it lol.. I can copy a movie in around 30 min or less. And yeah the files are all saved to my hard drive and is about 312 MB in size..so far it had been going for 2 hours and 7 min and it still has 1 hour and 22 min to go...I never dreamed it would take so long haha..I don't know if this is someting I will do much of, It is just some wrestling clips I downloaded and decided to try to put on a disc rather then have them sit on the hard drive until I had a chance to watch them..the wife hates wrestling lol...and swraman I have been using shrink for quite awhile..so what you are saying is I could have just converted them to a different format? Right now they are in WMW..hmmm..I never reallythought of that...lol I guess next time I will try what you sugested..see which works better cause god knows I love shrink!!!and do you think that 312 MB as WMV would end up over the 4.7 GB?
                        sigpic

good

Comment

• jm1647
                          • Apr 2005

I don't know if the conversion will be linear but 312 X15 = 4680MB close to a DVD5. I never did anything that big but the NVE output is in DVD format (ifo, bup, vob) and you should be able to use shrink.

Comment

• swraman
                            • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by Derree
                            Thanks for the compliments on my system Iknow I like it lol.. I can copy a movie in around 30 min or less. And yeah the files are all saved to my hard drive and is about 312 MB in size..so far it had been going for 2 hours and 7 min and it still has 1 hour and 22 min to go...I never dreamed it would take so long haha..I don't know if this is someting I will do much of, It is just some wrestling clips I downloaded and decided to try to put on a disc rather then have them sit on the hard drive until I had a chance to watch them..the wife hates wrestling lol...and swraman I have been using shrink for quite awhile..so what you are saying is I could have just converted them to a different format? Right now they are in WMW..hmmm..I never reallythought of that...lol I guess next time I will try what you sugested..see which works better cause god knows I love shrink!!!and do you think that 312 MB as WMV would end up over the 4.7 GB?
                            It really depends more on the length of the video...not the original size. A DVD can be encoded at different bitrares, meaning varying file sizes. So it could end up being be 2GB, it could be 10GB. But I use DVD Shrink in the end to make it fit on a 4.7GB and (along with Nero) to burn the disk to a DVD-R.

I think DivxToDVD is the fastest/best DVD converter Ive ever used. I use it a lot to re-encode video files to DVD format.

There is no way that re-encoding it should take 5 hours...at least not because of your processor...(yours is very nice, btw )
                            the only other reasons I can think of are that you are using the same HD to read the original video and to save the final one, but it still shouldn't bring it to 5 hours. Another reason may be a poorly coded program...but you're using Nero, right? And a WMV file? those are pretty generic, and Im pretty sure Nero is optomized for it...
                            All I can suggest is to try a different program to re-encode...(DivXtoDVD in the method I suggested. I use it al the time and it works great )
                            G4 =

I got a ton of Gmail (2+(and counting)GB Email from Google) invites if anyone wants one. PM or email me if you want one.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

yeah nice system derree, it makes mine look like a piece of crap! i totally agree here 5 hrs is ridiculous, my 2 cents is to use use tmpgenc, it will support wmv, done many myself. if you use the free version with the mpeg-1NTSC template, the output files will plug right into dvd author and you can burn it.
                              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                              Columbo moments...
                              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...