Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TB582
    • Nov 2001

Quality

Do you loose the quality when you rip a DVD onto your hard drive they burn it onto a disk?
  • Jacksindecision
    • Nov 2001

As long as you leave the DVD files you ripped to your harddrive in their original form ( *.VOB) you will not see a loss of quality. When you convert to avi or vcd, you may start to see a loss in quality.

Comment

• TB582
      • Nov 2001

Quality

So what if I have them on my hard drive and I want to burn them on to a cd to play in my DVD player, will I see any loss in quality?

Comment

• Jacksindecision
        • Nov 2001

Even though I have never tried it, I don't expect there will be a loss of quality if they are burned to a CD then played in a DVD player. The only thing is, the files ripped from the DVD are quite large (most will be 1 GB in size) and the only way to get those to a disk is by using a DVD-R. Otherwise it may take possibly 10 or more 700mb CDs just to copy one DVD.

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
          • Nov 2001

Just to add a few things
          If you dont have DVD Burner and would want to play the "burnt" CD's on your Stand-alone DVD Player than the only other option is to convert the VOB fiels from the DVD to MPEG. There will be a slight loss in picture quality which to an "untrainied" eye will go un-noticed. The extent of the loss in quality will be directly determined by how you convert to MPEG. As the old saying goes 'all good things come t o those who wait' and if you take the time and do the rip slowly you should end up with great results. On the other hand if you rush the rip and convert it at the highest setting to save time you will end up with a very average rip that personally isnt worth the disc its put on.

Cheers

Comment

Working...