Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shiggy
    • Apr 2002

need help w/ mp2 to avi

i am using an ati all in wonder to record shows off of cable. the file that is saved is an mp2. i was lookin for a proggie that will encode that into .avi format. the problem is is that the mp2 is HUGE. 1 hour show will be about 4 gigs. any suggestions?

thanks,
    shiggy
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

XMPEG and several others should be able to handle this for you. I presume you have at least one DivX codec installed on your system, so that the resultant .AVI can be significantly compressed.

Comment

• jjbreen
      • May 2002

MP2 to AVI

I've found XMPEG and Flask have some problems with ATI generated MP2 files, so I suggest DVD2AVI instead. It's a bit more cumbersome and long winded this way, but it works

Comment

• Mathebdb
        • Jul 2002

That is not correct

I am having the same problem with mp2 file formats.
        Although mp2 is MPEG-2 the extension is not supported by the listed programs.

I looked at the MPEG supported extensions and it uses .vob .m2p .etc .etc .etc but NOT MP2!

Am I missing something.

The .mp2 file doesn't even show for these programs to access.

Comment

• jjbreen
          • May 2002

MP2 files and how I convert them to Divx

I'll just explain how I capture using my All-In-Wonder 128.

1. I use ATI MMC 7.6. I set up a profile which records using MPEG2 compression at a constant rate of 8Mbits/s. I limit the file size to 1Gb chunks. I set the resolution to DVD resolution. I'm in Europe so that's the PAL DVD resolution of 720x576.

2. I record the film/TV programme then end up with a list of mp2 files which I rename using "The Rename" to VOB files in the order VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB...etc.

3. As the captured video is now in VOB format you can then use whichever compression program you like to convert to DivX. I've used XMPEG 4.5 when using DivX or DVD2AVI when converting to VCD.

Comment

Working...