Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonathanEngr
    • Jan 2006

HDMI Video with separate Audio???

I just purchased an HDMI DVD player (Panasonic S77S) and have a new plasma with HDMI on the way, as well. I ordered a plasma with HDMI for the video quality, but just found that HDMI carries the audio AND video. Thus, my question is the following:

My receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, only digital audio inputs (coax and optical), so should I be able to have my DVD player output the audio to a discrete digital audio channel (the coax or optical) and still use the HDMI for video to my plasma set? I'm not sure if my plasma (I ordered a Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK) has a digital audio out to carry the signal back to my receiver.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Just attach the HDMI to the TV and you can have audio when you don't want to put the receiver on. Then, choose either the optical or coaxial digital for sound and put the appropriate cable between the digita out of the DVD player and the receiver.

Make sure digital out on the player is set to bitstream or raw output. This will send DD/DTS to the reciever.

Comment

• JonathanEngr
      • Jan 2006

Thanks! Everything should arrive tomorrow and I'll be able to try it out first-hand. I'll post back how it goes!

Comment

• tonay
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Mar 2005

Your TV

Your TV probably has a digital output you can send to the receiver to make everything easier.

HDMI is supposedly Compenent and Audio together in one cable - all digital. I got one for my HD cable box and can't tell much difference.

Can you see any difference?

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

HDMI is DVI and audio in one cable, picture quality will be identical
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LongJohn210
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Mar 2003

Originally Posted by anonymez
            HDMI is DVI and audio in one cable, picture quality will be identical
            Right-0

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

There can be a difference between component and HDMI connection. It is due to a cleaner digital signal but it is usually minimal though. I have seen the picture looking sharper.

DVI is an older connection type that comes in non audio and audio versions. Many graphic cards come with it.

Comment

• JonathanEngr
                • Jan 2006

Got it all hooked up. Since my receiver doesn't have HDMI capabilities I went directly from the DVD to the TV. The DVD player actually lets you choose to output both the audio and video and/or any combination of both through the HDMI. Thus, I chose to turn on the HDMI video output but not the HDMI audio output. This enabled me to choose the optical or coaxial digital output from the DVD player and ran it to the receiver. It works great!

I did notice the discussion of HDMI quality above. The plasma that I have supposedly is able to double the black level resolution (from 2048 shades of gray to 4096--see their website) through HDMI only. I did hook up composite videos and ran it to my plasma, and although the resolution looks similar the black levels are VERY different. The levels of gradation are smooth and unnoticable in dark scenes, as opposed to the pronounced, pixelated color changes apparent in the component picture. I was actually surprised how different they were (most times such claims don't end up being very much).

Also--one last little tidbit. Keep in mind that ALL standard video connection (component, composite, S-video) are all analog, whereas DVI and HDMI are digital. Thus, you have digital-to-digital images with HDMI and DVI which should be better as opposed to digital-analog-digital (what happens with composite, component, S-video, etc).

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by JonathanEngr
                  It works great!

Good.

Comment

• fiddlersu
                    fiddlersu
                    • Feb 2006

I was an early adopter of HD TV. The TV I bought had only 1 HDMI INPUT! Now with a UPSCALING DVD player and Cable Setop Box ( also with HDMI) available. I wanted to connecto to the single 1 HDMI input on my TV.

I was able to find an external HDMI switch from: http://www.octavainc.com.I used a 3x1 HDMI switch and was able to expand my TV from 1 single HDMI port to 3 HDMI Inputs!. It was a lifesaver. I guess that is the price you pay for being an early adopter.

I am sure that I am not the only one that had this problem, so would like to share what I did to solve it.

Comment

Working...