Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldryder
    • Jan 2006

Camcorder to DVD "Jittery" images need help

I'm sure this is typical Newbie problem but would appreciate help.

Have HP "Media Center" PC (XP, 512M RAM, 2.8 GHz CPU) with internal A to D card and dual layer DVD writer. Used Nero Ultra 7 to capture many hours of video tapes to hard drive. Files play quite nicely with DVD players on the computer.

Used Nero to create DVD's from captured video using default values for set up. When played on DVD player thru TV the video images are distorted such that rapidly changing parts of the image (like a person running) are "jittery" on the edges. Using Office Depot DVD-R blanks.

Have been doing some reading; will try other media and also check DMA set up. Any other likely causes?

Am reasonably competent PC user but new to video stuff. Advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by oldryder
    (like a person running) are "jittery" on the edges.
    sounds very much like interlacing artefacts.

check out this page http://www.100fps.com . is this what you're experiencing?
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• oldryder
      • Jan 2006

yes, seems like an interlacing problem. Is there a way to get NEro to fix this? Mark

Comment

• oldryder
        • Jan 2006

To: anonymez:

thanks for help. You were correct. I burned another DVD after specifying the interlace (Still using Nero) and it did work. I actually burned two files that originated from different camcorders on to the same DVD. One file played perfectly; the other had the distortion which leads me to the conclusion that the original interlace was different from one video recorder to the next.

question: ids there a program or technique that can recognize that the original interleaving is on a captured file or do I have to work via trial and error. I have captured video from four different camcorders (going back 18 years) so it's not a trivial issue for me.

thankjs again for the help. Mark S.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by oldryder
          that can recognize that the original interleaving is on a captured file
          you mean "interlacing", right?

yes you can tell. download 'virtualdubmod'. open the file with it. play the file, preferably a scene with lots of motion. if you see interlacing artefacts, its interlaced. if not, its probably progressive (not interlaced)

alternatively you could play in any media player, but set deinterlace method to 'weave' in the decoder options. again, if you see interlacing artefacts, its interlaced
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• oldryder
            • Jan 2006

Thx for help. where di I find "virtualdubmod"? thanks

Mark S.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

you're welcome

to find virtualdubmod: http://www.google.com