Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chance_
    • Nov 2005

ac3 dts audio, what's better ?

dts was bigger than ac3 audio on one of the dvds i just checked out. like 630 mb where ac3 was about 300 mb. any ideas?
    Last edited by chance_; 19 Jan 2006, 03:12 AM.
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Yes, that is because DTS is surround sound and AC3 might not be. Unless you have a DTS decoder, don't use it. Dolby is more compatible than DTS is - even my computer won't play DTS sound.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Zero G
      Next to Arch Stanton
      • Jan 2006

The compression ratios for DTS and AC3 are different. DTS is less compressed and usually offers better sound. That being said, you need to have a decoder. I'll listen to DTS instead of Dolby Digital on any disc that has it.
      "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

DTS is usually only useful if you have surround sound and a decoder. Otherwise, stick to AC3.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

Here is a thread I made on this very topic: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45190

Comment

• TNT
            DVD Shrinker
            • Jan 2004

Sound quality, usually dts
            Compatibility, dolby
            Size, dolby
            Dynamic range, dts

If you are going to watch on a Home Theater System, go with dts. Otherwise Dolby should suffice. Then again, on a HTS, you may not want to sacrifice picture quality either. Where does that leave us? Watch the original or use dual layer discs.
            Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
            I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• jmet
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2002

You cannot tell the difference on some DTS audio streams when comparing it to AC3.

Bottom line, is let your ears decide.

Comment

• TNT
                DVD Shrinker
                • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by jmet
                You cannot tell the difference on some DTS audio streams when comparing it to AC3.

Bottom line, is let your ears decide.
                I agree, and in some cases, if the conditions are right, the Dolby track can be better than the dts. That's why I said "usually dts". However, if I were the wagering type, I'd put my money on dts. The key here is 'let your ears decide'. If you can't hear the difference, might as well go with DD, as it's more compatible and takes up less space. Same thing with the AEC Compression argument. If you can't SEE a difference, go with max sharp (since that's the fastest), or don't even use it if you can't tell.

We can only give out guidelines for doing things, but in the end, it's up to each individual user.

Comment

• techreactor
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by TNT
                  I agree, and in some cases, if the conditions are right, the Dolby track can be better than the dts. That's why I said "usually dts". However, if I were the wagering type, I'd put my money on dts. The key here is 'let your ears decide'. If you can't hear the difference, might as well go with DD, as it's more compatible and takes up less space. Same thing with the AEC Compression argument. If you can't SEE a difference, go with max sharp (since that's the fastest), or don't even use it if you can't tell.

We can only give out guidelines for doing things, but in the end, it's up to each individual user.
                  Yeah! , but personally speaking, if i have a choice between AC3 5.1 and DTS, I always keep only DTS. My disc is still compliant cos of AC3 audio in the menu.

Comment

• blutach
                    Not a god of digital video
                    • Oct 2004

Agrees with techreactor and TNT.

Just listen to Mel's Passion and you'll hear the difference.

Regards
                    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                      NOT an online superstore
                      • Oct 2005

If I have a choice I go with AC3, as I don't have surround or even a DTS decoder! It makes more sense to see if you even have a DTS decoder before even attempting to keep that DTS. Do this by putting the original in your DVD player, and select DTS. If you can hear it, great. If not, then stick to AC3.
                      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                      Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• techreactor
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                        If I have a choice I go with AC3, as I don't have surround or even a DTS decoder! It makes more sense to see if you even have a DTS decoder before even attempting to keep that DTS. Do this by putting the original in your DVD player, and select DTS. If you can hear it, great. If not, then stick to AC3.
                        Or better check the front panel of your SAP, it should have the DTS logo along with Dolby Digital, if not, check the manual of your DVD player, it will tell.

One of the prime reasons I buy DVD movies is due to the surround sound and the picture quality (in same order), otherwise I could do with a VCD also and my wallet will also be happy about it .

Comment

• Zero G
                          Next to Arch Stanton
                          • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by techreactor
                          Or better check the front panel of your SAP, it should have the DTS logo along with Dolby Digital, if not, check the manual of your DVD player, it will tell.

One of the prime reasons I buy DVD movies is due to the surround sound and the picture quality (in same order), otherwise I could do with a VCD also and my wallet will also be happy about it .
                          I also find the audio just as important. To me it's half of the movie experience.
                          "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• TNT
                            DVD Shrinker
                            • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by Zero G
                            To me it's half of the movie experience.
                            Isn't that what Lucas says?

Comment

• Zero G
                              Next to Arch Stanton
                              • Jan 2006

I believe he says "The audience is listening"

Comment

Working...