Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endodoc
    • Jan 2006

Help Newbie with DVD Conversion PLEASE

Hi everyone from a first time poster! GREAT FORUM! I hope someone will be willing to help me, as I feel like a total idiot with a lot of this stuff.

I am looking for the best way to convert dvd movie clips to a media that I can edit on my comp with Adobe Premiere. I have been using DVDtoMPEG but the quality is kind of poor. Is there a better program out there to do this with? It does not have to be an MPEG, just a form of video that can be edited in Premiere and then used in Power Point. The original videos on DVD look nice, but the MPEGs look shabby.

I would really appreciate some feedback if anyone has a free minute. THANKS!!

Dan
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

one way to achieve this could be converting the dvd material to avi

there are many tools out there to do this:
    staxrip, gordianknot, autogk (that's the order of my preference)

when converting to avi you should use a HIGH bitrate or otherwise you will loose too much quality in this phase

avi should be editable in premiere

afterwards you could save to a higher compressed avi in order to not create a too huge filesize

avis could be used in powerpoint as your final step

Comment

• endodoc
      • Jan 2006

Thank you very much. I tried using DVDtoAVI but the final product looked heavily pixilated - I probably did something wrong, who knows. Do you know where I can download/purchase the software you mentioned? Google search?

Thanks again,
      Dan

Comment

• endodoc
        • Jan 2006

Oh... my... god.

Just downloaded the gordianknot stuff, and I am in WAY over my head. How do you use this stuff? Is there a guide? This just made me realize that I have no idea what I am doing. Basically, I put in a particular dvd and... that's about it. Yeesh.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

If you want to try gordianknot you can try auto gordianknot which is less intimidating

Comment

• endodoc
            • Jan 2006

Sounds good to me! Where can I get it? Google it?

THANKS!!

Dan

Comment

Working...