Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maddmike
    • Jan 2005

Build my own DVD player/media PC

Here's the new project I'm thinking about. I want to build my own "media PC" with these features:

* play DVD images from a networked harddrive
    * slideshow a directory of JPEG images
    * play MP3's
    * simple GUI to select movies/JPG/MP3 to play
    * control with an IR remote control
    * runs linux for max customization
    * plays regular DVD's without all the extra junk at the beginning (FBI warning, studio logo, menu, previews, commercials, etc.); just pop the disk in and the movie starts...

Basically, it's like an Intel VIIV PC without Microsoft, without DRM, and without the things that bug me about commercial DVD players.

I can do all the ripping and organization and stuff from another PC; all this one needs to do is playback.

Any suggestions? In particular, I'm wondering:

* where to get the IR remote interface
    * what's the best environment to make a really simple GUI (running KDE or gnome seems like ridiculous overkill...)
    * what's the most bullet-proof way to playback a DVD disk image in full-screen mode?
    * how to get IR remote to talk to the playback software
    * JPG slideshow or MP3 playback software recommendations (simple and reliable are the key attributes)

Thanks in advance.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

where to get the IR remote interface

what's the most bullet-proof way to playback a DVD disk image in full-screen mode?
    huh? since when is pan & scan troublesome?

how to get IR remote to talk to the playback software
    either use software compatible with such devices (eg mediaportal/wmce), or use 'girder', which can map any button to any keyboard/mouse function you can think of.

JPG slideshow or MP3 playback software recommendations (simple and reliable are the key attributes)
    almost any software can do this-- easiest way would be within the software. media portal.

plays regular DVD's without all the extra junk at the beginning (FBI warning, studio logo, menu, previews, commercials, etc.); just pop the disk in and the movie starts...
    the dvd will have to be decrypted (or shrunk, with movie only) without P-UOPs-- afaik you cannot remove them 'on the fly', straight from the original disc

building & setting up a HTPC is a lot of work, especially if its your first time. don't expect things to 'just work', needs a lot of meddling and tweaking to get things right
    Last edited by anonymez; 21 Feb 2006, 11:40 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...