Are there any "free" 3rd-party defragging programs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GooGoo
    • Jan 2006

Are there any "free" 3rd-party defragging programs?

I use windows 2000 pro and I've heard that the "defragging" tool that comes with the windows OS are not very good (or is that a myth?). I used to own Norton Systemworks but while I loved its defragging tool, I hated everything else about it and I will never buy it again.

Does anyone know of a good 3rd-party defrag program that's free and reliable?
  • Furiousg
    If you have any poo....throw it now
    • Dec 2005

I use Diskeeper. I got mine off of a demo disc, but I am sure you could find a Lite, or demo version of it out there. This is the only defragger I have used other than the Xp one.
    -FuriousG-

Comment

• GooGoo
      • Jan 2006

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

i like o&o defrag but it's not freeware

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

i doono why u need other defrager, 2k or xp's work fine and use bootvis with that and it also solve some boot speed problems so ....... why u need any other pls?
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• GooGoo
            • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by atifsh
            i doono why u need other defrager, 2k or xp's work fine and use bootvis with that and it also solve some boot speed problems so ....... why u need any other pls?
            Over the years I've been told and have read that the defrag tools that come with Windows are not very good. The fact that there are countless other defrag programs available to replace the ones that come with windows seem to validate this fact.

Bootvis sounds like a good utility to have but it appears to be only for XP. I use 2kPro.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

imho any performance gain beyond windows defrag is the result of the placebo effect
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• BR7
                He is coming to your little town!
                • Aug 2005

I agree with anon I have tired a few the only difference between 3rd party and windows was that some of them defraged faster.But if you want to look around system mechanic has one

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• ulTRAX
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by GooGoo
                  I use windows 2000 pro and I've heard that the "defragging" tool that comes with the windows OS are not very good (or is that a myth?). I used to own Norton Systemworks but while I loved its defragging tool, I hated everything else about it and I will never buy it again.
                  The defragger that comes with XP is not that good.... just check the report at the end. Here's the files that were still in 1000 fragments or more with the first number being the fragments:

1,425 522 MB \RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00006153.VOB
                  1,474 556 MB \Program Files\Common Files\G DATA\AVKScanner\QBase\0507042057170.q
                  1,743 556 MB \Program Files\Common Files\G DATA\AVKScanner\QBase\2201052343090.q
                  2,026 834 MB \RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00006148.VOB
                  2,290 839 MB \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\half-life 2 content.gcf
                  2,770 940 MB \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\counter-strike source shared.gcf
                  2,400 976 MB \Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\source sounds.gcf
                  2,450 1,024 MB \RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00006147.VOB
                  577 1,024 MB \1DVDCOPY 2010\VTS_01_1.VOB
                  39,548 1,024 MB \1DVDCOPY 2010\VTS_01_2.VOB
                  2,547 1,024 MB \RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00006146.VOB
                  37,542 1,024 MB \1DVDCOPY 2010\VTS_01_3.VOB
                  14,095 1,024 MB \1DVDCOPY 2010\VTS_01_4.VOB
                  2,545 1,024 MB \RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00006152.VOB

I have Norton Speed Disk but I'm not sure how good it is. So what I tend to do is run XP then Norton... and for good measure... XP again to get a report.

Comment

Working...