Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r1p
    • Feb 2006

storage

I know that some people have build their own external hdd using a external case and a internal hdd, but can this idea be taken further?

I was hoping to find some info about using a external case to house multiple internal hdd. Possibly even using a old tower and fitting 2 maybe 3 internal hdd in there this way I can upgrade the amount of storage as needed. I don't know any thing about doing something like this so was hoping to maybe find a diy link, but the only ones I found were for single drive storage.

It would be nice to be able to reference the thing as one drive, so it would have to partition out to the seperate drives, but having close to a terabyte of storage would be nice. Any one here do this?
  • scooter1556
    • Feb 2005

interesting idea, im no expert and im sure there is a way. The only way i can see of doing this is to get an individual IDE to USB2.0 adaptor for each drive and do it that way, but they will not register as 1 drive. You could make the actual design tidier by using a hub inside the tower and just having 1 USB lead coming out of the case itself. The only way to get them as 1 drive is to use Western Digital Raptor drives and RAID them, but they are a bit pricey at the moment and SATA so a special SATA to USB or FIREWIRE would be needed!

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

doesn't make a lot of sense, just build a computer, even a standard case can hold 5-6 drives, will need a good power supply, I bought 2 refurb soyo mobos
      last year that support 4 serial hard drives and 4 more pata hard drives and still leaving the primary and secondary ide controller free for optical drives.
      With gigabit lan.

Comment

Working...