• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

ASX files

Hi guys...long time...I recently downloaded a number of trial programs which claimed to be able to convert ASX streaming video files to something useful, and when trying to load the video in they'd all give me the message the file couldn't be loaded...and a suggestion that I install an all-in-one codec package (which didn't work). I've seen a number of ASX posts in the search files...and am wondering if anyone out there has ever sucessfully converted a ASX file.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

open the asx file in wordpad, should contain a link to the asf file. download that file & load into vdub 1.3c (latest version with asf support) or use avisynth directshowsource("C:\videofile.asf",fps=xx)

edit: almost forgot to say, welcome back :^)
    Last edited by anonymez; 27 Apr 2006, 11:35 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Thanx for the welcome back...wordpad says its ASX version3...then it says <REF HREF="mms://a717.v5022a.c5022.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/717/5022/v0001/coast.download.akamai.com/5022/clips/06/03/031606_earth.wmv Assuming this to be the ASF link...what do I do with it? type it into the open file box in VirtualDub? Hate to be a pain...but I'm totally in the dark on this streaming stuff. Thanx for your help

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

hmmm...my post dissappeared...anyway I'll try it again...it says <REF HREF="mms://a717.v5022a.c5022.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/717/5022/v0001/coast.download.akamai.com/5022/clips/06/03/031606_earth.wmv Assuming this is the ASF link how do I get it into VD? type it into "open file"? hate to be a pain, but I know nothing about this streaming stuff

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

it won't let me type out the link...assuming this to be the asf link...how do i load it into VD...just type it into "open file"? Hate to be a pain...but I know nothing about this streaming stuff...and any help appreciated

Comment

• uufta
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Dec 2005

I am probably wrong, but if you are trying to put a link in your post to streaming video the site is probably blocking you, due to recent problems here on the Forum.

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Yeah...musta been that. I followed the link in explorer and it opened what i assume to be the asf version of the vid. problem is i couldn't save it. In search for VD1.6c i found a post on another site saying microsoft had forced Avery to pull his asf support version of VD. The poster gave an indirect pointer to a warez hack (which wasn't there) but i, of course, never use warez. he also recommended asftools (freeware which doesnt have help files) so i'll screw around with it when i wake up. If anyone out there has VD1.6c and a means of sharing it, i'd be grateful...course if it's illegal, forget it...don't wanna mess with microsoft...hehehe. I'm gonna try to drag the asf version into asftools and see if that works.

Comment

• megamachine
                Video Fiddler
                • Mar 2003

Good to see you again, r. If right click save target as doesn't work for the file you need, then you might have to use a streaming media capture program. I haven't done this in a while, but when I had a need to do it quite often I used to use something called StreamBoxVCR. Not sure if it's still available. More recently, I tried CoCoSoft StreamDown, but it doesn't work on all streams. This site lists these programs, and several others, and it has guides so maybe something there will be useful. I think the last version of VD to accept ASF was 1.3c, but I might be mistaken. Some sites have removed it, but it floats around the net from time to time, and you might be able to locate it with a Google search.
                Last edited by megamachine; 28 Apr 2006, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

Great to see you again Mega...got a great hint from anon and copied the url to wordpad (and figured out what ASX is)...while searching for VD1.3c found another post and found asftools...after reading the FAQ found out all I had to do is rename the asx file to asf (and it still worked)...but not in asftools...thanx to mega I found WMrecorder, and after kicking it in the ribs was able to get what it claimed to be a wmv file on my machine...but bsplayer and irfan couldn't play it...tmpgenc and vdmod refused to load it. Out of desparation i tried Ulead VS9 (today's the last day of my trial)...and voila...it worked. I've been very disappointed with VS9...but this time it came thru. Thanx all for your help.

Comment

Working...