X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sznavor23
    • Apr 2002

DivX Movie File to WMV???

hi,

how do i get a divx file to convert to WMV? i have a movie, and i look at the properties of it and it says DivX Movie File.... not AVI or MPEG or whatever can i convert it .....how?

please help,

steve
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

DivX is merely a codec used to create compressed .AVI files. If you have a video that is DivX-compressed, it IS an AVI. You should be able to convert such a file to WMV format by using the WM8EUTIL program (If you don't already have it, make certain to also get the companion GUI).

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• sznavor23
      • Apr 2002

the WM8eutil will not work...it says invalid file or whatever, the movie is not corrupted i can watch it using the PLAYA....now what?

steve

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

The file was either compressed with a video codec, or contains an audio format, not recognized by WM8EUTIL.

In order to determine which codecs/formats were used, do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• sznavor23
          • Apr 2002

here is the screen shot you requested..... thanks for any help.

steve
          Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Two probable areas of difficulty:

1) The video codec used was DivX v.5.0, which I don't believe WM8EUTIL can process.

This can be overcome by recompressing (in VirtualDub) the video using the DivX v.3.11 codec (because it's a direct hack of Microsoft's codec)

2) The audio:video interleave ratio appears to be 12:1 (This is usually done to save a few megabytes of filesize), rather than a more conventional 1:1

This can AUTOMATICALLY be overcome by simply resaving in VirtualDub (which you'll already be doing when you recompress the videostream with the DivX v.3.11 codec). By default, VirtualDub (unless you've altered the interleave settings) will save with a 1:1 interleave ratio.

Comment

Working...