X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whale
    • May 2006

down and dirty dog of a DCR-TRV350

Greetings-

Just wondering if anyone could comment on something that has me puzzled.

I followed the forums here and elsewhere, ditched the Dazzle and went for the Sony DCR-TRV350 in order to transcribe tons of our family HI-8's.

Got a new one off E-bay and it sure seemed new - the look and feel and all of the unit was really nice and well, new.

Anyway I had managed to get it working on the first go, streaming thru the firewire connection to my laptop, capturing all that nice digital output to the harddrive to the tune of about 3 hours worth.

I even took the babying precaution of re-winding the old tapes through the old analog camcorder (Sony video HI8) so as to relieve the new unit of this stress.

So it worked, and well. Then Friday I just shut down the systems until Sunday when I had time to continue. Right off the bat something was wrong, I could hear the tape playing and the software indicated that it was also playing but no video was being displayed on the laptop or camera LCD.

Testing on the old machine , the tapes were full of images; I went back to tapes I had already transcribed and they would not re-play(show images) either. I monkeyed with the menu settings but still no images. I re-booted the laptop and disconnected all power from the TRV-350- to let it reset - but no change.

Ok sure seems like a hardware glitch or dreaded defect but then I got the idea to play the tape in the old analog machine, run it into the input on the DCR-TRV350 and sure enough I am getting the old tape to store digitallly on my harddrive.

So what I am asking is for any comments on this strange state of things. Is i odds on that something went wrong internally or have I somehow not set something correctly? Would really appreciate any comment.

Thanks
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Hi. Im a Sony tech, and what you got are old analog hi-8 tapes with dust on them, thus they clogged the video head on the newer camera. Try running a cleaning tape a few times, cycle the old tapes in ff and rew and store them in a cool dry place inside baggies with dry packs to keep out moisture.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

Working...