• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trishbaby100
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • May 2006

Pc Game Backup Trousbles Pls Help

Ok I have used the suggested programs so that I could back up a few of my daughter's games.
    It works ...To a point...The back up copies freeze while playing the game.
    And being that they are kindergarten games they dont exactly save and if they did save it was lost some how.
    I have tried the Nero copy..On the fly...Alcohol 120%...and now clonecd.
    And they all are freezing at one point or another. IS there a setting that I am suppose to be adjusting or is there anything else that I am missing? I never run anything else while burning as well.

As well as the originals when played in the DVD Rom...The DVD Rom will run and run and run.(I use the DVD Rom on some of the badly scratched ones due to it being newer than the Cd writer Rom.)
    I have tried using a program to check for Protections but I am not sure that the prog is working or I am not using it properly.(What one is recomended?)
    So any detailed help would be wonderful!Thank You
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Lets start with the basics, what type of discs are you using?
    Gary D

Comment

• trishbaby100
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • May 2006

hp Invent..cd-r 52x 700mb......
      Anyone have any help or advise, or tips that would be great!
      Last edited by trishbaby100; 11 May 2006, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• trishbaby100
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • May 2006

Still having back up trouble......

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

what version of clone?
          I am backing up some new karaoke disks right now with an older version,
          there's a whole hidden menu in profiles.
          Best durn program ever written, next to shrink that is.

Comment

• Zero G
            Next to Arch Stanton
            • Jan 2006

The sheep has served me well too.
            "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• trishbaby100
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • May 2006

Version 5.2.8.1
              As for the settings I have not changed anything.
              I choose copy,game setting.
              I seen that you can change the buffer range and just though that I better leave well enough alone. As for the shrink I tweeked the settings in there to get the best quality and time. But have not found any really good info on the sheep that I am confident in changing things yet.
              If you have any tweeking info that you'd like to share I am all ears, in the mean time I will search for any guides listed on the web.

Cheers Trish

Comment

• cybergasm
                • Apr 2006

Why are you shrinking for games? As a game developer I would never suggest that anyone touch anything on a game CD as the files are very sensitive to the code- a simple thing such as a missing unwanted audio file could corrupt the whole thing. Even the same file at a different quality could go against some file check-lines.

Whenever I backup games I find it easiest to rip an ISO w/ Alchohol then Daemon the .iso. No burning required. As they are kindergarten games, then cd-protection and virtual-drive incompatibility should not be a problem.

If you are set on burning a cd, then do the same as above, but burn the iso. You have no reason to shrink anything, if it is ment for a cd, then it will fit on a cd, if it was ment for a DVD it will fit (and need to be burned) on a DVD.

Comment

• trishbaby100
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • May 2006

Oh no sorry I was just stating that for personal DVD's I tweeked the Shrinks settings to get the best results.

I am looking to find out what I need to tweek or fix or do to back up (Create a working copy) of pc games.

I tried the copy on the fly through Nero, Tried Alcohol 120%,CloneCd all of them provide me with a freezing copy. The copies will play then suddenly freeze. And having 2 twin girls who will only play what the other will play poses a problem. LOL

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

In my old version of clone, when I right click on a profile like game I get an edit choice, here i set the read speed down to 8x or 16x, I use the dvd burner or a plextor premium cd burner to read an image to my hard drive, I then burn at 16x with that same drive.

Comment

• trishbaby100
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • May 2006

Thanks again Chewy I will try that and see what happens.
                      I was reading from my Cd Burner(Samsung) then using the DVD burner to burn (LG)

Comment

• Chewy
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2003

CopyOnTheFly works best with premium source and destination drives on
                        seperate cables, and then at a slower speed.

Comment

• trishbaby100
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • May 2006

Ok i burned using the on the fly option lowered the read and write speed, used the dvd burner for the read and the write...Attempted to use the copy and still froze during the game.
                          LOL go figure both issues that I have seem to be unfixable.

Comment

• cybergasm
                            • Apr 2006

Have you tried ripping an .iso to your HD, then virtualy mounting it?

Also, does you original, by any chance, skip?

Comment

• trishbaby100
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • May 2006

Nope original does not skip.
                              As for ripping the .iso And virtualy mounting I have no Idea what that is sorry.

Comment

Working...