Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Acidf3d
    • May 2006

DVD Audio Volume Problem

I have been experiencing a problem whereby after any high frequency transient during a DVD, the volume is severely compressed for a few seconds.

In layman's terms this means that every time there is a high pitched clicking, ticking, smacking or snapping sound (such as a lighter being flicked, a wooden stick being slammed on a desk etc) the volume level drops severely and then gradually returns to normal after a few seconds. In the professional audio world this is caused by a process called compression.

The problem is, this is unwanted compression and I have no idea what is causing it. I experienced it once before and it effected both the analogue and digital audio output on DVDs. The only way I was able to fix it was by reinstalling Windows, but that was only 6 months ago and now the problem has returned (I can't test the digital ouput at the moment as my speakers are being replaced under warranty but I assume it will be effected also).

I am using WinDVD 7 and the only other video software I have installed is DivX 6.2, RealPlayer, QuickTime. Can anyone shed any light on this problem for me?
  • codajohn
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

Try opening your Volume Control. You should have a "Advanced" box on the bottom of the master volume control. Click this box and see if SPDIF
    (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) is enabled. Put a check in the box if not. Enable SPDIF.
    CJ
    My DVD Collection
    Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• Acidf3d
      • May 2006

Originally Posted by codajohn
      Try opening your Volume Control. You should have a "Advanced" box on the bottom of the master volume control. Click this box and see if SPDIF
      (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) is enabled. Put a check in the box if not. Enable SPDIF.
      Is this response meant for this thread?? Enabling digital output through S/PDIF is of absolutely no use for this problem!!! Lol. I don't have my digital speakers at the moment, and anyway, last time this problem occurred I tried both through digital and analogue outputs and both methods experienced the volume drop problem.

Comment

• codajohn
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jul 2005

Are you having the problem with DVDs that play in your comp and/or Stand alone?
        CJ
        My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• Acidf3d
          • May 2006

The problem is only when playing DVD's from my computer using either Windows Media Player or WinDVD 7 (I haven't tried any other players this time, last time I tested it with PowerDVD but the video wouldn't work for all sorts of reasons). Thanks for your help btw!!

Comment

• Acidf3d
            • May 2006

Also, the problem wasn't present when I first installed Windows & WinDVD, but has resurfaced... and unfortunately I can't pinpoint when exactly it resurfaced so I can't tell if something I installed caused the problem. Last time I had the problem, I tried uninstalling everything that could effect video/audio but it didn't fix the problem anyway... so I imagine it'd be the same this time.

Comment

• codajohn
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jul 2005

btw?
              Got it.
              Last edited by codajohn; 10 May 2006, 08:40 PM.
              CJ
              My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...