X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndieB
    • May 2006

Newbie! How do I fix it? Audio & Video not syncing

Hello all!

Here comes a Newbie with a Newbie question. I've search a lot for solutions to my problem and I've got some hints about HOW TO solve it, but not a CLEAR instruction to really do it "step-by-step" which is what I'm really after.

My situation is like this (step-by-step):
    1. I have a videoclip in AVI format.
    2. The audio is not syncing with the video. It appears that the audio starts about 3 seconds before the video starts. Actually, there is a countdown screen from 5, 4, 3, (goes black), then video starts. I believe that the audio on the origin video started when the screen got "black". But now the audio starts exactly when the video starts. This creates a miss-sync.
    3. I want to separate the audio and make sure that the audio starts when it SHOULD start. (I'd like to do some audio noise removal as well).
    4. Finally I would like to join it all togehter in a perfect match and eventually put in on a DVD.
    My question follows:

What applications/softwares should I use?
    Anyone who can give me a good step-by-step guide or a link to such instruction/guide?

I'd be really thankfull for any kind of help!

Best regards,

Andreas
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

You may want to take a look at this guide made by Lt.Columbo:

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

if the audio is out of sync the same thru out the video you can use Virtualdub (or one of it's variants) to advance or delay the audio. use direct stream copy, no need to re-encode.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

if it's gradual, in virtualdub under video, select framerate and change so video and audio durations match.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• RFBurns
          To Infinity And Byond
          • May 2006

Im not an expert at any of this so forgive me if I seem out of place with my post, but would dropped frames be a cause of audio loosing sync with the video? What is the best way to determine the amount of delay or advance needed to return audio to be in sync? Just by visual cues, best guess kinda thing?

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by RFBurns
            Im not an expert at any of this so forgive me if I seem out of place with my post, but would dropped frames be a cause of audio loosing sync with the video?
            absolutely.

Originally Posted by RFburns
            What is the best way to determine the amount of delay or advance needed to return audio to be in sync? Just by visual cues, best guess kinda thing?
            i'm not aware of anything that can measure it. that would be nice. as far as i know it's "visual cues" only. it's not that hard anyway. i can usually correct it on the first attempt if it's 200 - 500 ms out.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...