X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • satz
    • May 2006

can't get 5.1 output from PowerDVD 5

hi all

I recently added a 5.1 surround speaker set to my computer. The motherboard (ASUS p4p800 delux) has the pink, green and blue outputs for the speakers.

I've connected up everything fine to these analog outputs, and when I run the audio test in SoundMax each speaker does its thing correctly.

However when I play Dolby Digital 5.1 DVDs using PowerDVD 5, i only get 2-channel output.

I've looked at all the settings within PowerDVD and the speaker setting options only seem to be '2 speaker'.

Is it possible that I have a 'cut-down' version of PowerDVD? (this came with my LG DVD ROM).

Or is there something else I need to set?

I'm using Windows XP Sp1 (I've also checked that the speaker setup is 5.1 in there)

There's no SPDIF input on the speaker set so I have to use the analog ones.

hope to hear from you
    thanks

Satz
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by satz
    Is it possible that I have a 'cut-down' version of PowerDVD? (this came with my LG DVD ROM).
    i wouldn't be surprised if it is, nero does it too.

i suggest media player classic for dvd playback, free 5.1 audio without a hitch
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• satz
      • May 2006

Media Player Classic

hi there

thanks for the tip about MPC.

Downloaded it and now have DVDs in 5.1!!!

I've seen some people talk about downloading external 5.1 codecs to use with MPC. Such as DScaler...

Do I need to do that? Are they an improvement over the 'internal' DD/DTS decoders?

cheers

Satz

p.s. Cyberlink confirmed that PowerDVD that is shipped with some DVD Roms, is a cut down verison that only does 2-channel output!

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

I've seen some people talk about downloading external 5.1 codecs to use with MPC. Such as DScaler...

Do I need to do that? Are they an improvement over the 'internal' DD/DTS decoders?
        not much difference imho.

p.s. Cyberlink confirmed that PowerDVD that is shipped with some DVD Roms, is a cut down verison that only does 2-channel output!
        now if only we could get them to admit that there have been no improvements other than bugfixes since powerdvd 4. versions 5 6 and 7 is just 4 in different packaging, some official-looking logos on it, sold at a ridiculously high price
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by satz

I have a Trust Sound Card with coaxial digital output. PowerDVD 6 and WinDVD 7 does not recognise it. I have had to use AC3Filter or Dscaler Audio Decoder to get 5.1 out from MPC or Zoom Player.

Comment

Working...