Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aviriv
    • Jun 2006

merging films and subtitles

Does anyone know how to merge the film with the subtitles. I have not succeeded in doing this. If possible please reply by e-mail, as i am new in this forum
    aviriv@hotmail.com
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Welcome to the forum!
    What do u mean by merging subtitles?Hard subbing?U want the subs to be part of the video so that u cannot turn it off?What is the format of ur film?
    BTW, it is improper to reply via e-mail as the discussions r meant to help everyone reading this thread.So plz post ur queries in this forum and someone will surely reply here itself.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• aviriv
      • Jun 2006

merging subs with movie

Hi
      It is my first time in a forum and I was afraid I wan't find my way and will miss the replies to my question but I think I got the idea and will follow your addvice hopefuly with no problems.
      About my question : well lets say the movies are either in avi or mpeg or other formats and the subs are .srt though I founf out I can convert the subs to sub with the SRT to SUB Subtitle Converter and as I understand there other formats like ssa Ect.
      What I would like to do is merging the subs with the movie and burn both on dvd disk as the language spoken in the movie are English and my subs are in my language.
      Thanks very much. Avi

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Well,to burn ur subs into avi use Virtualdubmod.Open ur avi in VDMod.Select VIDEO/Filters.In filters select TEXTSUB and hit OK.Now u will b asked to point to ur .srt file.Select it and encode using ur desired compression.U can Preview before encoding.
        For hard subbing a mpeg u need TMPGEnc.It can also do avi.
        See this:

and this:
        sigpic

Comment

• aviriv
          • Jun 2006

Tnx very much. I'll try it soon as first I must get hold and learn to use those progs.
          Avi

Comment

• paglamon
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

And plz keep us posted about ur progress.
            sigpic

Comment

• aviriv
              • Jun 2006

Hi. Success is what succeeds they say and we crossed the Rubikon lol (It is an old jewish expression not very familiar to others then old eastern europe people - the rubikon was a very rough river and to cross it in those days it was almost impossible and so that mission was for me till u arrived and helped me for which I m very grateful, I still needed some aid from my upstairs student (mind u i m 73 he is a student 25 lol) and we made it together.
              Now there are some buts :
              1 The avi vedeo that was 500 000 kb before the merging became 53 000 000 kb after and obviously can not be burned on a 4.7 dvd disk (it still is of type avi)
              2 The subs, when playing, the merged video, gets very small delay with the progress of the video and it come to 4-5 seconds twords the end. It isn't much but still bit uncomfortable to the watcher.
              I thank u very much for ur kind help and followup.
              Avi

Comment

• paglamon
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

As to ur queries:
                1.U probably forgot to use any compression to ur avi in Virtualdub,hence the big size.Try to compress with Xvid.VIDEO/Full processing mode/Compression.Same for Audio.Compress it using Lame mp3.
                2.As regarding the problem of subtitle getting delayed gradually,use Subtitle Workshop to correct it.It has an elaborate Help option which will guide u.If u still find any problem using it,I will definitely try to help to the best of my ability.

BTW,because hardsubbing an avi involves re-encoding it,there will be some loss of video quality.There is an alternative(and easier) way to view ur subs and avi together:just put ur avi file and subtitle file(.srt) in the same folder and name them identically e.g. my movie.avi and my movie.srt.If u now burn these 2 files as data-cd or data-dvd,most standalones nowadays should play the avi with subtitle.And u will also now have the option to turn the subtitle ON or OFF from ur remote control.My LG DSI9533 DVD player(I live in India) plays these files wthout a hitch.
                Last edited by paglamon; 8 Jun 2006, 02:24 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

• aviriv
                  • Jun 2006

Hi.
                  Did u mean I had to do the compression before the merging operation ?

I named both the movie and subs with the same name and burned both as data-cd and data-dvd on separate disks.
                  Unfortunetely my dvd device which is OLYMPIC DVD- 2838A wldn't play eather of the disks but they both play well and show the subs in puters dvd drower (not the dvd burner).
                  Probebly my device it not fit to play such burned disks so I'll have to stick to the merge operation.
                  it is nice to know u live in India. I live in israel and am a retiered mechanical engineer.
                  Tnx again.
                  Avi

Comment

• paglamon
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

Did u mean I had to do the compression before the merging operation ?
                    1.Open Virtualdub
                    2.Open ur original avi file
                    3.Select Video/Full processing mode
                    4.Select Video/Compression Here u select Xvid and configure it such that using the bitrate calculator u can determine the bitrate for a target file size
                    5.Select Video/Filters and add the Textsub filter as in the guide
                    6.Select Audio/Full processing mode
                    7.Select Audio/Compression and here u shd use Lame mp3
                    8.Go to File/Preview and see that everything is OK
                    9.File/Save avi

But remember to correct ur subtitle file BEFORE u add it in Virtualdub.
                    sigpic

Comment

• aviriv
                      • Jun 2006

in stage 5 when i go to video/filter and click add i get a list all says {internal} but no Textsub .
                      What have I done wrong ?

Comment

• paglamon
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Aug 2005

Install Vobsub
                        After installation copy the Textsub.vdf file and paste it into the Plugins folder of Virtualdub.Now u will have textsub filter available.
                        sigpic

Comment

• aviriv
                          • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by paglamon
                          Install Vobsub
                          After installation copy the Textsub.vdf file and paste it into the Plugins folder of Virtualdub.Now u will have textsub filter available.
                          Thanks very much. I'll proceed after returning from Italy and will let u know the results.
                          Avi

Comment

• paglamon
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2005

My pleasure.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...