Can a DVD+R disk be converted to a DVD-R disk?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burnselk
    • Jun 2006

Can a DVD+R disk be converted to a DVD-R disk?

I have what may be the stupidest question of the year or century, but I'd like to find out so here goes.

I have a DVD+R video disk that I want to play in my TV surround sound system DVD player. The TV's DVD "player" will only play DVD-R formated DVD's according to the manufacturer. It's an older system. These days I think you can buy players that will play all formats.

So, my DVD+R disk won't play at all in my player. It will play on my computer using my Lite-On DVD RW but not in my player that's hooked to my large screen TV.

So, my question is this: Is there any way to "convert" a DVD+R formated disk to a DVD-R disk?

Could I download the contents of the DVD+R disk to my computer's hard drive then turn around and burn it in DVD-R format using my lite-on dvd burner? I don't even know if my Lite-On DVD RW SHW-160P6S burner will allow me to burn it in the DVD-R format.

I don't know if anything like this is possible but I wanted to ask you guys because I know if anyone knows, you do.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments (good and bad).
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

Hi and welcome to the forum, burnselk!

No problems. Either just use Nero to copy disc to disc or rip the DVD as an ISO file to your hard disk and then burn that ISO file to your new disc.

The only problem that can happen is that the + media can hold some few MBs lesser space than the - media. But that's not the case here.

In the DVD Shrink subforum there is a sticky that contains FAQ and Guides - jmet wrote one that will tell you have to copy a copy or what he called the guide.

Comment

• burnselk
      • Jun 2006

Thanks for the welcome Chyntha....I appreciate that.

I just finished "burning a copy" of the DVD+R that would not play in my TV's surround sound DVD player.

I used the Nero software that was installed on my computer but had never been used. I selected "Copy DVD" and followed instructions....and to my delight, it worked!

However, the finished product did contain several artifact, however they don't take away much from the video. They are mostly noticeable in the sound; leaving out a word/partial word here and there....no big deal. Wonder what caused this?

The completed product is a DVD-R disk copied directly from a DVD+R disk (without first downloading it to my hard drive)....and more importantly, it works in my TV's surround sound DVD player.

Thanks to all. If you would like to comment on the artifact issue please do so. If there's a way to make the DVD better I'd like to hear about it. That's what it's all about....learning to "do it right".

How do I "rip the DVD as an ISO file to your hard disk and then burn that ISO file to my new disc"? Can you give me some step by step instructions? I'd like to give that a try to see it it removes the artifact.

Thanks much....

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

this will work too
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

In the future burn your +R media and bitset\booktype to DVD-ROM. If Nero won't do it for you, LiteOn has a utility called booktype135.exe that should work on the 160P6S. I have a 160P6S but have not installed it, I'm waiting for the testing on new FW to be comleted.

Comment

• burnselk
            • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by jm1647
            I have a 160P6S but have not installed it, I'm waiting for the testing on new FW to be comleted.
            Could you share the new FW when you get it?

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by burnselk
              Could you share the new FW when you get it?
              The latest is available here but read the topics about it first

Comment

• Phillip
                • May 2006

and whats a difference between DVD+R and DVD-R @34*$$$$4 !!!!???

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

@phillip - they are structurally somewhat different. DVD_R holds 7Mb more but can't do bitsetting.

IMO, DVD+R is better to use. For some more reading, follow the links in "What's bitsetting" in my signature.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• burnselk
                    • Jun 2006

I did this scan of my 8X speed burn using Nero.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• dmanshead
                      Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
                      • Dec 2005

that liteon you have will do bitsetting if you use imgburn or dvdd, i have one myself. Do you use DVD Shrink? it can be set to create that iso right there, call me old fashioned i like to make the iso and then burn later, makes me "feel" like I am more of in the process. The most current firmware for that burner is PS0A. There are many links above that can help you. Here's a tip that can help look at the threads about media quality, you would be surprised at how much better things work with great media, a good genral rule for dvd or cd-r is MIJ (made in Japan).

If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
                      Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• dmanshead
                        Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
                        • Dec 2005

Here's a log and scan for you....
                        Attached Files
                        If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
                        Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

Working...