Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • myth465
    • Apr 2002

whats worth it and what aint

ok guess i got a lot of dvd packages from different ftps and i was wondering whats worth keeping and what aint

also what dirx files do i need and how do i add plugins to wma

heres what i got

dvd - vcd package includes
    cinemea craft 2.50
    TMPGEnc+Crack.rar
    D2S108B1.exe

power dvd xp 4.0

clad dvd v 1.7

win dvd

trying to clean up and delet some stuff

on divx i got the 5.0 bundle and the 3.11 alpha
  • awoodfor
    • Apr 2002

Depends on the quality desired of course!

For example are you trying to rip them to an CDr or a DVD and play them as .mpg, or just have them on your HD as an avi?
    If you are trying to make VCDs to play on an external player this answer aint for you!!!
    Personally I use smartripper to rip. Then encode using Flask, and the DivX 3.11 codec at 1200kbps, MP3 @ 128kbps. Most films are then about a GB give or take. Then if the rip is worth saving I re encode it to real8 using Realproducer at about 800kbps with 64kbps. This is almost lossless from the original avi file and fits onto most 700mb cds.
    So in my experience these are the only three progs you need. Not to mention the codecs. I tried dvd2vcd and DivX 5.0 but they didn't make a huge difference in quality. So in times of trouble go with what you know!
    Cya
    Woody

Comment

• poopity poop
      • Apr 2002

from what awoodfor said I can deduce that he is a begginer encoder. No offence please.

Smart ripper is the best program for most people. CLAD sucks in comparrison

If you really want high quality in a no nonsence way, use DivX 5 and do a 2 pass encode using a bitrate determined by gordian knot. This way it will fit onto a CD. Also using 128Kbps audio is a good idea.

Real8 stinks in comparrison to any DivX codec properly encoded. And using a standard 800Kbps and 1200Kbps is not what you should be doing. Kbps isn't just a fantasical acronym that has no bearing on real life.
      Its KiloBITS per second. basically if you want to find a file size.
      take 700MB* 2^10*8/(length of movie in seconds)= the bitrate you should be putting into your program.

Which means you can fit around 100 minutes onto a CD.

Comment

• myth465
        • Apr 2002

thanks guys so far deleted clad

whats {i know u guys hate that questions}

but win dvd or power dv d

so far i like power but i dont like having 16 programs that all do the same so could someone list pros and cons and such

Comment

• awoodfor
          • Apr 2002

Thanks Poo shooter!

I suggest you make up your own mind... there are some terrific players out there... and if it where up to me then I would stick with powerDVD
          With regards to Poopity poops comments on the real codec. What rot!!
          As I may or may not have indicated I am a Realnetworks convert. Check out a preview of the upcoming Real9 codec @ MOBY in real9 format at 300kbps
          How good is that!!! And in general I find that two hours of video can be condensed onto a 700mb disk.
          I still use DivX 3.11 alpha for generating .avi's, but my major issues for not sticking with it are
          a) in all converters I find the keyframes create a lag
          b) there are no methods for streaming in DivX yet, and I dont agree that .wmv or .wma are of comparable quality to real.

Thats my two cents.

Woody

Comment

• myth465
            • Apr 2002

thanks man i do plan on trying all of them out

Comment

• poopity poop
              • Apr 2002

Perhaps I should not say anything, but there is a new player coming out that is somewhat "secret" I'm doign the opening video for them, sort of like winamps "Winamp...it really whips the lama's ass..." It will play every file extension, much like trillian can access AIM ICQ yahoo, MSN messanger, etc. It will be able to play .mov, mpeg-2, DVD's, .rm's DivX, everything, I'm sure you'll hear more and will be able to get it in the next year when it is released, if you follow up with encoding news...I would recommend www.doom9.org to keep up with news and whatnot. Other than that... WMP 6.4 BABY!!

Comment

Working...