• Show
Clear All
  • jeo
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Feb 2004

hiberfil.sys in D: or E: ?

hi boys, i need your help.

the hiberfil.sys default drive is C: . (too big file with 511Mb in win2K)
    i always use ghost to backup my system, this file don't compress,only encrease the ghost image and the time to compress or expand.
    is possible (and how i do ) to remove the hiberfil.sys from drive C: to another drive? ( i only know do that with pagefile.sys)

thank you!
    still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

I don't think that you can move the hiberfil.sys to a different partition than the default C: drive. Do you use hibernation at all? Hibernation takes everything in memory and writes it to your hard drive as the hiberfil.sys file. If you have 512MB of memory, then hiberfil.sys will be about 512MB. If you have 1GB, the file will be around 1GB. The important point to remember is that even if you don't use hibernation, hiberfil.sys will still take up this huge amount of disk space. The way to remove the file is to turn off the hibernation feature (by default, hibernate is activated automatically when XP is installed). If you want to disable it, please try these steps:

* Open the Windows Control Panel
    * Double-click Power Options
    * Click the Hibernate tab, de-select the 'Enable hibernate support' check box, and then click Apply.
    * Restart your computer and hiberfil.sys will be automatically deleted.
    * If you change your mind in the future and would like to use hibernation, go back to same steps above and select the 'Enable hibernate support' check box, and then click Apply.

Regards

Comment

• jeo
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Feb 2004

Do you use hibernation at all?
      me and my pc? no,we're not bears. (lol)

Hibernation takes everything in memory and writes it to your hard drive as the hiberfil.sys file. If you have 512MB of memory, then hiberfil.sys will be about 512MB.
      yes, 521Mb and i don't knew that details.very cool!

If you want to disable it, please try these steps:
      done. your solution is "too much better" than my "idea"!

Regards
      benbryant
      my best regards for you my friend,it's a fantastic solution!
      cool,...thanks so much and aloha!

ps:
      i knew: i have lots of forum to ask but here i always find solutions for my complicated questions.(i only post this question here in DD,is secure)
      this forum is like one cool player for music,everything sounds better here!
      still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

Working...