Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yz125rider21
    • Aug 2006

hard drive question sata or ata???

Well I guess my hard drive finally took a **** on me lol...just burning a movie and it just started acting up and rebooted and now it wont even read on the motherboard...I try it on another computer to be sure but I want to know whats better and faster. If I recall SATA is better than ATA but somebody chime me in so I can get on my way to get a new hard drive...thinking of like a 120gb 7200 rpm 16mb cache but waiting on to see which direction is better ata or sata....let me know asap thanks
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

go for sata - newer and more powerful standard

i'd take something like the samsung spinpoint 2504c
    one of the fastest sata drives these days with 250gb

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

if your computer is not sata capable then pata is fine, if you have sata(serial) then why would you waste an ide controller on a hard drive?

Comment

• yz125rider21
        • Aug 2006

i update my board long after I had my drives....my hard drive is only 2mb cache from 2002 .... has 2 sata and 2 sata for raid...I just go that route...thanks guys

Comment

• ed klein
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

From my viewpoint this is the best:

Two identical hard drives SATA type with RAID 0 configuration (series) or two identical hard drives SATA type with RAID 1 configuration (backup or parallel configuration)

At least four connections of SATA on your motherboard. Some of the newer motherboarda will not even have IDE connections, IDE is becoming a thing of the past

Comment

• yz125rider21
            • Aug 2006

ya, I just stepping it up a notch, cause my computer aint that slow...lol...but I always hear my hard drive stressing and I guess it finally went out...so I am out with the ide and stepping up to the sata...computer is p4 3.2 ht with 2gb of ram....seem sluggish when I installed windows on that hard drive cause I bought a new one awhile ago and transferred all my important stuff like pictures, music and such to that one and put windows on my old one which finally went out....so in the end I am glad I took that step but kinda sucks cause the whole reinstalling windows again...

Comment

• SKD_Tech
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2003

SATA definately. Better all around and IDE is becoming extinct. I just bought a Western Digital 250GB SATA drive from www.newegg.com for less than 70 bucks.

Comment

• TNT
                DVD Shrinker
                • Jan 2004

Can anyone chime in on SCSI? I've never used it but it looks good. Any drawbacks to it cf SATA?
                Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
                I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

Working...