Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eyeM4tune8
    • Nov 2005

Best way to narrate and convert old 8mm movies

I'm planning on converting my parents old 8mm movies and also photographs to dvd. I've used Adobe Premiere Elements for many movies, but you can't dub onto it. I also have Pinnacle Studio 10 which allows dubbing, but it is SO buggy, and it crashes all the time. I have a Sony miniDV camcorder, and a device that lets you project a projector onto a screen. I plan to either record the 8mm movies onto a miniDV tape which will also allow narration via the camcorder microphone (then transfer to Adobe Premiere Elements), or pass the signal staight through to my computer.
    My first question is: a company called YesVideo claims to do this better by:
    • enlarging the gate so that the entire frame of the film is used, thus increasing the image captured by as much as 40 percent!
    • synchronizing the film speed to the shutter speed of the CCD to eliminate film flicker
    • cleaning the film, utilizing special light and capturing the image directly to DVD makes movie film images appear remarkably sharp and colorful
    Is this likely to be a significant improvement? Regarding the "synchronizing the film speed...", I thought there was no ccd related flicker, and since the picture is not from a crt source, no flicker from that reason. True?

Secondly, for still photos, am I better scanning them on a mid-range scanner (HP 5550) and record narration on a minidv, then import both into the program, or use a "lightbox" to take a picture of the photo with the camcorder as it is narrated? If a camcorders resolution is only 320x240 lines (approx) at what resolution should I scan a picture to improve upon the camcorder quality. Does a picture taken with the camcorder have a better color depth than a scanned picture? To narrate the scanned phote, I'd have to record the narration and improt it to tthe Adobe program.

Am I missing any simpler solution?

Thanks

Jason
Working...