• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

VLC Media Player 0.8.6

Has anyone used the new VLC (Video LAN Client) Media Player 0.8.6 test? Is it any good?

I am using VLC 0.8.1 and it has been working good with the exception that I can not choose Subtitles.

Thanks,
    G!
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

I think I have 8.5
    sigpic

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi NightTran,

I just took the plunge and installed 0.8.6 Test1 version ... and it works fine so far ... I can't really tell any difference from my 0.8.1 version. The only thing is I think they must have fixed it so as it works like my old 0.8.1 ... I can highlight the ISO file and right click to choose VLC player.

Q: NT, can you shed light on this ... can you tell me why with VLC I can open some of my AVI's subtitles and others it does not give me that option!?!?!?

Thanks,
      G!

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

why with VLC I can open some of my AVI's subtitles and others it does not give me that option!?!?!?
        don't really use VLC, but ensure the files are in the same folder and file names match, eg video.avi and video.srt
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• xistenz
          • Aug 2006

Originally Posted by gonwk
          Hi NightTran,

Q: NT, can you shed light on this ... can you tell me why with VLC I can open some of my AVI's subtitles and others it does not give me that option!?!?!?

Thanks,
          G!
          If your file names match and in the same folder, it should automatically load the subtitle once you open your .avi file with VLC, however you have to enable the subtitle too.

If the files dont match and/or not in the same folder, you can load them both by clicking on "file" ->> "Open file" or press CTRL F. There you should have the options to load your .avi file and subtitle.

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

@Anonymez ... Thanks as usual.

@ X, nice to hear from you guy ... I think you helped me with the "Enable" portion of your answer ... I'll try it ... I think that will do the trick.

Thanks again to Ya'll,

G!

Comment

• gonwk
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Dec 2005

Hey Anonymez,

I got thinking ... what do you use to view your AVI's ... I mean on your desktop? And is it "Freeware"?

Thanks,
              G!

Comment

• NightTran
                King of Digital Video
                King of Digital Video
                • Aug 2005

AVI I used to use window media classic
                sigpic

Comment

• gonwk
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2005

Hi NT,

I use WMP with DirectVOBSub for viewing my Subtitles ... but I come across few AVI files that WILL NOT playback with WMP ... which I use version 10 ... so!?!?!?

Thanks,
                  G!

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

what do you use to view your AVI's ... I mean on your desktop? And is it "Freeware"?
                    no avi files here, nothing but mpeg ts, mkv and a few old mp4 encodes. i like media player classic, dscaler5 or nvidia purevideo for mpeg2 and ffdshow and haali's splitter for pretty much everything else
                    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...