• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Episode DVD and AVI?

Hi folks,

I was wondering if I take an Episodic DVD (with menu and the 3 episodes) and run the whole thing thru a DVD to AVI converter ... will I still have Menu Control in my new AVI Mode? Only control I would be interested is so I can choose an episode.

If not I guess I can just convert each of the three episodes into AVI ... actually I can put 6 AVI's (therefore 2 DVD Episodes) on 1 dvd.

Thanks,
    G!
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

will I still have Menu Control in my new AVI Mode?
    no. unless you'll be using divx media format (hacked avi)
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• gonwk
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2005

Hi Anonymez,

Does AutoGK use DivX? If not what other freeware would give me this!?!?

Thanks,
      G!

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

yes, not sure if it supports the latest 6.x though, and probably doesn't output divx media format. likely you'll need divx's official encoder

with a bit of work, mp4 can contain menus. ratdvd is another option. note that these won't play on a standalone
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Majic
          • May 2003

Assuming you are using a DVD/Divx Player
          For Avi and Mpg files, I just create a folder (regular Data CD/DVD) for each movie or episode.
          Inside the folder, I break the file down to smaller segments (so I don't have to fast forward to a spot).
          For AVIs I use VirtualDubmod and usually just have it autosize the segments, or you can go through and select each section then save it (in batch mode to do this faster)
          Loading the DVD into an author program or even shrink can show you the timing of the chapters, so you can make a timing list, making finding the chapter points to split at easier.
          So far, I haven't found another free program that correctly works for breaking up AVIs, although AviDemux sometimes works.
          It would be nice if VirtualDub let you just put marks in the editing screen to segment, for the whole file.
          For Mpeg-2 or Vob files, I use Mpeg2Cut.

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

@ Anonymez ... Thanks!

Hi Majic ... yes I am using Philips player ... and what you jsut told me was exactly what I was looking for ... THANKS A BUNCH!
            G!

Comment

Working...