• Show
Clear All
  • gonwk
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Different VirtualDub Programs?

Hi folks,

I have looked thru this forum and googled the heck out of other sites for the follwoing question and I have not come across a straight answer ... striaght to me anyway ...

Q1: with all differnt kinds of VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod applications out there ... which is which? And which one is good to be used for what?
    e.g. VDub 1.6.17, VDubMod 1.5.10.2, VDubMod-<PEG2 1.6.15, VDub148-AC3, ...

Q2: I have 3 or 4 versions installed on my computer and I am not really sure if I need all of them?

Q3: Compare in general VirtualDub vs. NanDub vs. AVIDemux?

Thanks,

G!
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

virtualdub is the original, by avery lee it's still being updated, accepts avi and mpeg1 input. vfw and acm for video and audio respectively.

virtualdubmod is a heavily modified version of virtualdub 1.5.x; has many useful features, eg handles vbr mp3, avisynth script editor, multiple audio streams, mpeg2 input, mkv/ogm (though very much outdated). it's not being updated anymore.

virtualdub-mpeg2 is plain virtualdub, but accepts mpeg2 ps and wmv input. updated shortly after every plain virtualdub update

nandub was useful back in the divx 3.11a days, not so useful now

avidemux does not rely on vfw, has many features virtualdub doesn't have (but missing some that virtualdub did), many input and output formats (no stable mkv support yet). personally don't care for the interface
    Last edited by anonymez; 7 Nov 2006, 06:16 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...