• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harishkumar09
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2006

Remote control for DVD drive

I have a desktop computer system and a Samsung DVD drive.I use it regularly to watch movies.I would like to have a remote control system to control this DVD drive.Like for example to turn on reduce the voulme , capture shots and other such functions.Is such a hardware product available.

You all know in the case of TV Tuner cards , you get a remote control which enables all the above functions which I have mentioned.

I want a similar remote for a DVD drive.
    www.vaishnavism.org
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

one may exist, i never heard of one. tv tuner cards are cheap, you could use the software that comes with one and it's remote to watch your dvd's.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• harishkumar09
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
      one may exist, i never heard of one. tv tuner cards are cheap, you could use the software that comes with one and it's remote to watch your dvd's.
      How the heck ? Have you tried it ? does it work ? And doesnt it strike you as odd that with so many ppl watching DVDs on the computer nobody has thought of such a simple invention ?
      www.vaishnavism.org

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

sure it works, but i have a set-top dvd player and a tv so i don't bother. i do use it for media files though. the remote is nice.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• celtic_druid
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

I can use my wireless gamepad to control mplayer. Many players such as Media Player Classic also support wireless remotes via LIRC. List of supported controls: http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

buy an mce remote, use HIP (freeware) or girder to map keys/functions. depending on what exactly you wish to do, can take some trial and error. but setting up something like MPC should be a breeze
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• harishkumar09
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by anonymez
              buy an mce remote, use HIP (freeware) or girder to map keys/functions. depending on what exactly you wish to do, can take some trial and error. but setting up something like MPC should be a breeze
              Well , er... whats an mce remote ? I haven't heard of it before !
              www.vaishnavism.org

Comment

• katzdvd
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Feb 2006

<B>MCE Remote</B>

Comment

• harishkumar09
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Jan 2006

Thanks Katzdvd.But it requires a Media center PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition.I just have the usual Windows XP or Windows 2000 SP 4.I also have a remote for the Pinnacle PCTV TV tuner card.

Is there anyway I can get thinsg done with the above ?

I mainly need to capture snapshots or single frames from a movie while its running or even record entire segments of it with my remote control instead of running towards the keyboard to capture a snapshot everytime a beautiful sceneray turns up on the screen.

I hope you understand.
                  www.vaishnavism.org

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks Katzdvd.But it requires a Media center PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition
                    it will work on windows 2k/xp and all its variants, can be purchased on it's own (without the MCE OS) for around $55 AUD

I also have a remote for the Pinnacle PCTV TV tuner card.

Is there anyway I can get thinsg done with the above ?
                    many IR devices are supported with either HIP or girder, particularly girder. try google
                    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• techreactor
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by harishkumar09
                      How the heck ? Have you tried it ? does it work ? And doesnt it strike you as odd that with so many ppl watching DVDs on the computer nobody has thought of such a simple invention ?
                      Creative used to give remote with its CD-R drives years back and I am sure they would be doing it now also with the DVD drives, check it out.

Comment

• harishkumar09
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Jan 2006

Oh thanks a lot anonymez and techreactor for your help.
                        www.vaishnavism.org

Comment

Working...