• radicaljbr
    • Nov 2004

Burning double layer DVDs nned help

Windows XP
    Burner = HP dvd 840 with lightscribe
    DVD = Memorex DVD+R DL
    Software = Video Studio 7

Video Studio 7 will not burn DL dvds.

I am real new to burning DL dvds. I have edited some home videos and I am trying to burn around 6.5 GBs onto the DL DVD. I get and error at the end and then my DVD is ruined.

My first question is Video Studio 7 too old to burn DL dvds? I have a feeling this is my problem.

Is there another way to edit with Studio 7 and then burn with another software?

Thank you so much for the help!!
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

What is Video Suites output?? What format??
    Gary D

Comment

• radicaljbr
      • Nov 2004

Output just says DVD

Below is other info found under properties. Does that help?

MPEG files
      24 Bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
      Frame-based
      (DVD-NTSC), 4:3
      Video data rate: Variable (Max. 8000 kbps)
      LPCM Audio, 48 KHz, Stereo

Again, can aly software burn a DL DVD or does the software have to be DL specific?

Thanks

Comment

• walterd8
        • Dec 2006

Hi radicaljbr,

I have a configuration that is similar to yours. I just acquired an "HP dvd840i Super Multi DVD Writer and LightScribe and Double Layer" to archive my Hi8 Home Video library of over 50 two hour tapes taken with a Sony CCD-TR101 (with RC TimeCode and Data Code).

My current software is:

Nero Express 5.5.10.32 - Pioneer
        Studio Plus v10.5 from Pinnacle

The HP software that comes with the HP dvd840i is the "nero OEM SUITE and consists of:

Nero Express 6.6
        Inco 4
        Nerovision Express 3
        Nero Backitup
        MPGET-2 SVCD/DVD Plug-in
        Cyberlink PowerDVD 6
        Microvision Surething
        SE-Lightscribe edition

Did you install all of the above Nero OEM SUITE? Have you sucessfully burnt any double layer data disks (of around 6.5 GBs) with Nero Express 6.6? What was the error message towards the end of the burn, and what software issued it?

Originally Posted by radicaljbr

My first question is Video Studio 7 too old to burn DL dvds? I have a feeling this is my problem.

Is there another way to edit with Studio 7 and then burn with another software?
        On the Pinnacle support forum http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read...onID=273&lng=1 the closest topic I found was answerid 93:
        "Can Studio create MPEG 2 files for DVD?"

... Studio version 7 is able to create MPEG2 files for S-VCD and DVD which can be burned to DVD disks by a third party application. ..

As Pinnacle Studio 7 appears to be no longer supported ( Date first available at Amazon.com: October 5, 2001 and superceded by 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7), your suspicion that it is "too old to burn DL dvds" may be true.

My Plan is to apply the Studio 10.7 patch to my copy of Pinnacle Studio 10.5 over the next few days. I hope that a full test, consisting of a 2 hour capture of one of my Hi8 tapes followed by a burn to double layer DVD, will work. I'll get back on this.

Walter

BTW, one of the reasons I use Pinnacle Studio is that it produces SCN files during scene detection. I have been using the framecounts in the SCN file in the tool Hi8DateTime, that I have written, to synchronize the captured video with date and time subtitles extracted from Hi8 tapes recorded with RC Timecode. If you are curious as to how its done, see the FAQ http://www.octochron.com/faqProduct.htm

Comment

• radicaljbr
          • Nov 2004

Wow...sorry!!

your message was sent to my bulk email and I just now figured it out.

No...did not install the software that came with it. I guess I should. I can burn regular CD's but need to burn a movie with DL. Not sure how to do it after I have edited a movie using Video Studeo 7 with out buying th studeo 10.

I want it to play just like a movie in my home dvd player so that the kids can watch it up stairs.

Thanks

Comment

Working...