X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Putrif
    The Putridifier
    • Jun 2006

Firewire IEEE1394 DV Capture

This may be a little out of place on these forums, but can anyone tell me if there is anything I need to know when selecting a Firewire IEEE1394 PCI Card for video capture from my Canon ZR85 MiniDV Digital Camcorder?

What's the difference with 1394A/B?
    Any suggestions on where to buy?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

What's the difference with 1394A/B?
    1394A => Firewire 400
    1394B => Firewire 800

400/800 stand for the max. transfer speed 400/800 MBit/s

go for any 1394 pci card you like but make sure to buy a corresponding cable, which should be 6pin to 4pin in your case but please take a look at your camera's manual before ordering the cable

Comment

• atifsh
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2003

otherthen what hav been posted above, u can always check some hardware mpeg2 encoders, if u have slow computer.
      good quality + good time saver
      Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Putrif
        The Putridifier
        • Jun 2006

Thanks for sharing the knowladge, I went ahead and orderd a firewire card today, My camcorder does use a 6pin to 4pin, the cable is comming with it, and with some software.
        I imagine the software will get discarded after I find something better to use for free.

I'm not sure how well my desktop will handle it but hopefully there won't be any issues if i close down all other programs.
        My machine runs XP OS, has 640mb RAM, 1900MHz processor, and plenty of free hard drive space.

Now I want to get an extra tv set up as a monitor to preview my edited video before I burn it onto DVD.
        Last edited by Putrif; 26 Dec 2006, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

Originally Posted by Putrif
          1900MHz processor,
          u may get frame drops if u try direct mpeg2 [dvd complient] encoding.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...