X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yourweldguru
    • Feb 2005

Seeking codec mentor

Hi,

Looking to get my codec issues straightened out as seems I sure need it done.

Running a 2 yr old VAIO, XP Home SP2 and a check of my installed codecs (using W's XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility) lists 5 codecs (listing only "Mpeg2" codecs).

Right now, with little other alternative, I've used the utility to "set as preferred", the Ligos MPEG Video Decoder (Mpeg2Decoder.ax, v1.2.0.79) which is seen as MCE compatible, but "NOT" MP10 compatible.

However, as the utility prompts; "This decoder is not compatible with the synchronization feature of WMP10, recommend against setting this decoder as preferred decoder." Compared to the other listed decoders, it seems I'm left to setting this as the preferred one (despite it's partialy suitability).

As for the other 4 listed decoder's, they're all totally red x'd (both MP10 & MCE incompatible), including my basic DVD player's app's (InterVideo WinDVD5) vid decoder (ivivideo.ax v5.0.11.210), and it is displaying an alert/yellow icon w/exclamation point.

As for that codec, I've tried support at both Sony and InterVideo, but they basically aren't even writing back.

Also, I've installed DivX, ref. DivX codec v6.2.2 s/b installed but not seeing it in XP's codec utility.

I have these too; Stinky's Mpeg-2 codec installer (installed the Ligos Mpeg2Decoder.ax, v1.2.0.79) and Voxware MetaSound Audio Decoder (voxmsdec.ax v1.0.0.012) which oddly doesn't list in XP's Mpeg2 utility despite I know it is installed.

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Happy NY's!
    Hap-e-trailz, YWG
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

what is the problem?

XP's decoder checkup utility only checks for mpeg2 (dvd) decoders. mostly used for MCE, and doesn't matter whether a decoder is "compatible" or not, in most cases there are no issues.

my advice is to ditch WMP, use media player classic or VLC instead
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...