X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrsolutions
    • Feb 2007

Explaing video formats, compression and codecs

I'm new to this forum so hello everyone

I am trying to explain to myself how video formats work when it comes to streaming. I've come up with this description:

A video format describes how one device sends video to another device, such as a DVD format, and how the video images are carried within an envelope containing information about the image.

Digital video formats used for streaming can be broken down into Container Formats and Video Codecs.

The container format contains various types of video data that are compressed by means of standardized codecs. The container format itself is used to identify and interleave the different data types. A compatible media player must be installed on a user’s computer to allow the user to play a given container format (providing the correct codec is also installed).

A video codec is a device or program capable of performing encoding and decoding on a digital data stream. A codec is often used to compress digital data to make it more suitable for delivery over internet protocol. The correct codec must be installed on a user’s computer to allow them to play a video that was encoded with that codec.

A video codec will compress a video using certain video compression formats such as MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. A variety of different codecs can be used for an individual compression format.
    Is this right - if not how is it wrong?
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Check it here.

Comment

Working...