Help! I downloaded the necessary codec but I still can't view avi files...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eea76
    • May 2002

Help! I downloaded the necessary codec but I still can't view avi files...

I downloaded and installed what I needed to, and I got a installation confirmation message, stating, "You are now ready to view avi files" or something like that, but when I open up an avi movie in WMP, all I get is a black screen. Is there something I need to do in the player itself to activate the codec or something? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"but when I open up an avi movie in WMP, all I get is a black screen."

Has this happened with an AVI file that you've created, or only with one(s) that you've downloaded, which could be fake? Has it happened with more than one?

Comment

• Mark Madness
      • May 2002

It's probably a bad movie. I downloaded stuff off of Kazaa that was just 2.5 hours of black screen.

Comment

• EighteenthVoid
        • May 2002

you guys using kazaa better watch out for funny looking files. i hear there is a kazaa virus going around that disguises itself as normal media files. those weird video might be infected files. check your pc.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Its probably a fake. If you want to verify this, load the avi in Virtualdub and post the 'file information' here.

Comment

• eea76
            • May 2002

I didn't download it off Kazaa

I just downloaded the codec off kazaa. And how and where do I find Virtualdub?

Also, how do I find out what type of AVI it is?

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Post all the "file information"

Comment

• eea76
                • May 2002

This stuff?

The "AngelPotion Definitive" codec has been detected on your system. This driver is an illegal binary hack of the following legitimate drivers:

* Microsoft MPEG-4 V3 video

The AngelPotion codec is a particularly poor hack of the MS MPEG-4 V3 codec and is known to cause a number of serious conflicts, including but not limited to:
                * Excessive disk usage on temporary drive
                * Incorrectly responding to compressed formats of other codecs, even uncompressed RGB
                * Preventing some applications from loading AVI files at all
                * Inhibiting Windows Media Player automatic codec download

The author cannot guarantee the stability of VirtualDub in any way when AngelPotion is loaded, even if the codec is not in use. All crash dumps indicating AP is loaded will be promptly discarded. It is recommended that you uninstall AngelPotion when possible.

This is only a warning. Aside from bug workarounds and warnings, VirtualDub does not take further action in response to AngelPotion being loaded.

Comment

• eea76
                  • May 2002

All I know...

All I know is that I downloaded Attack of the Clones Part 1 and 2 in avi format from Imesh, and whenever I open the files I get a black screen. I know nothing else. What is the easiest way for me to view these movies?

Comment

Working...