X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony jermyn
    • Jul 2005

Vhs -bit Off Topic But Here Goes

Hi everyone

Know this forum is about DVD copying but I have had my very first (after about 5 years) bad experience trying to copy a VHS tape.

I don't have a DVD recorder so I link VHS player to my Canon DV (as a go thru) and then capture the video using firewire to Ulead VS8. I then play around with the footage and use Shrink to encode and burn the DVD. Never, ever had a problem with pre recorded VHS tapes even though they may have some basic protection. (this VHS tape was made in 1996).

Followed the usual routine and was about to capture the video when I got "copyright protection, dubbing restricted" message appearing on the Canon DV and this stopped the transfer. Repeated afew time without success.

DVD copying is not a problem generally with Decryptor and PGC Edit if that fails. Is there any way that this or other protection cracking software can be appiled to VHS-DVD copying?

(Could I try and copy to another VHS and then start with that?)

Feel a bit desperate. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Antonio, Anna y Eduardo Felipe
  • 2COOL
    Kamen Moderator V3
    • Aug 2003

What you are experiencing is Macrovision protection. Plese read the legal issues section.
    2CL C Henshin!
    If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

• snagel
      • Apr 2006

Tony, there is a small device called a Sima Go DVD. It is about the size of a small cassette walkman. Your yellow RCA jack plugs into the device from the playing unit and then another yellow goes from the other side of the device to the recording unit. Works excellent for copying any copy protected VHS or DVD's. Do a search and do your homework shopping at various places. I've had mine for over 2 years and it does work. Cost around $59-$70 depending. A friend applied for a credit card to one place and ended up getting the item for $39 after a $25 credit for the credit card app.

Comment

• 2COOL
        Kamen Moderator V3
        • Aug 2003

Originally Posted by snagel
        Sima Go DVD.
        Macrovision Corp. took Sima Products Corp. to court last year. Don't know the status of that though.
        2CL C Henshin!
        If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

• MikeyBK
          Digital Video Maniac
          • Feb 2006

There is also the Dimax RedPro for hardware solutions...
          DVD Red PRO. Copy and Capture Protected DVD,VHS to DVD,VHS,PC. Remove Macrovision Protection

But I found out there were also software solutions..as posted here in my thread when I got going converting my VHS tapes..

So as you can see...I use the WinTV PVR 150 software WinTV 2000 and it does not see macrovision on my VHS tapes.
          Then I capture at a high bitrate, convert to DVD compliant files with 1ClickDVDMovie (used to be called 1ClickDivxToDVD), then use DVDRebuilder if compression is needed at all.
          Turns out great...
          I also have since learned that you could avoid encoding during the conversion from Mpeg2 to DVD compliant files if you used an authoring program like DVDLab Pro.....
          HOWEVER...I found that method to be susceptible to audio sync problems, so have since stuck with 1ClickDVDMovie, which uses the MainConceot Encoder, and the output is pretty decent IMHO...
          MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
          Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
          ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
          Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
          XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
          Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
          Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
          *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
          *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

Working...