Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomnhanni
    • Nov 2001

RealAudio Format

I downloaded a video in RA format but ymy RA player wont play it. I think I have to get the latest version. I tried downloading a demo but it was crazy. You have to register with the site and then if you dont deregister after 14 days you'll be charged. Any how I just wnt to view this one clip. Does anyone know if you can use another media player to play this stream. Maybe get the codec from somewhere and use another program.
    Say Mr. Beefy!
  • alfagoblin
    • Dec 2001

I'm not scure I undrstand the problem... if you are attempt to play a clip in Real Media format (exstantion *.rm) you can only play it with real player ... you can download the latest free version of the player following the link for the basic version of the player from the home page of real www.real.com ...pay attention usually the link for download the free version are small and hiden...
    THere is an other possibility: you are attemp to play a clip encoded with a DRM (digital right managment) encoder...thats maen that the clip is protect and the possibility to play the content is guaranted only to the person the have the key to unlock the content...in that case you must look for where to acquire the key ...using the latest version of the player also these problem is solved real implement a plug-in for secured content...
    hope these help you
    Bye

Comment

• tomnhanni
      • Nov 2001

Tx for yr reply. The format ext. is *.ram. The place where I got it said I need real player 6 or better. I was just wondering if maybe I could get the codec the program uses and install it and use another program to view it. Mainly to save time downloading the program, since it was such a hassle. But if that format can only be played back with the real player then I guess I'll have to get the program. Thanks again for your reply.
      Say Mr. Beefy!

Comment

• alfagoblin
        • Dec 2001

Ok...consider that RAM isn't files or better isn't the content its self but just a calling to the content...e.g. if I store a file in Real Format on a server and I want to pubblish with some advertising or something elese I put on the web server a RAM fiel wich is a TXT file with RAM extention in wich I can put the URL for the content and anytingh else I need or I want the end user see...
        So if you get the RAM from the web server and disconnect the pc from the WEB you cannot see the files and also if you try to play the RAM with any different player it's very commune that you cann't do it.....
        For what cancerning the error you find trining to play there is three main possibility :

1. The RAM contein an a script error
        2. The file wich RAM is related to was encoded in Real 8 without the real player 5 or older compatibility
        3. your version of real is old or damnaged....

if you want you can mail me the RAM at dumilio@tiscali.com I can ceck it so I can help you better...

BYE

ALFA

Comment

• tomnhanni
          • Nov 2001

Tx for your suggestions. I finally got the real player 6 something. It played fine. It seems that the program uses a special internal codec or something so you HAVE to use the real player. Too bad.
          Say Mr. Beefy!

Comment

Working...